Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roof Cleaning Is A Growing Segment

For anyone that pursues pressure washing actively, the hottest growth market is roof cleaning. I've read a bunch of misnomers and have seen some companies that really don't know what their doing try to tackle this task. There are a bunch of methods and of course a friendly war on what method is best. This prompted me to write an article of the A to Z's on how to perform roof cleaning properly. Hope you enjoy!

How To Clean A Roof

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the article. We do quite a bit!
I have spent allot of time researching and following the roof cleaning forums. A good pump,system & ground man can be your best friends!
You are right about that Aaron. How is the roof cleaning market down there? I know its competitive.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good article/blog! I never knew that you just left the bleach on and did not wash! I like the way you listed all the stuff needed for a diy'r!:thumbsup:
Chris, I don't mind telling people how its done. Some may think I am giving away the farm and hurting myself in the long run but reality lies in that the process is not one of the best DIY projects to pursue. There is a ton of risk and no liability insurance to back the homeowner for his/her own mistakes.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has really taken off the last year or so around here. There are a ton of roof cleaning companies around me that offer it. There are some nice multi-unit jobs that include the house and roof. I've always treated as an upsell I hated but now that I am properly equipped, I chase them pretty hard.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool video, Aaron. It shows the importance of a grounds guy when performing a roof cleaning.

What size surface cleaner and how does it perform with the 4 gpm?

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aaaron, the general rule of thumb is 1 gpm for every 4" of surface cleaner. (24" SC would be best run with 6 gpm etc) Up to that size you will find you can move quickly.

I've run this one on our ten and you can practically run behind it.

Attachments

Reactions: aaron61

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The more flow you have, the faster you will clean. That is everything from houses to decks to concrete. We have zero problems running 10 gpm machine on a residential with a 110 gallon reserve tank. You can run into issues with well water or if your municipal supply is 5 gpm or less. Running a portable machine directly off a water supply is where you will get into trouble. Its best to have a buffer tank for a whole bunch of reasons.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ken is 110 reserve tank what you like best for residential house washing??
Depends on what size machine and and in an individual's case, what his service area municipal supply is like. In my area, ten gallons of reserve for every 1 gpm of machnie flow is adequate. In an area with wells, low muni supply, commercial jobs where you don't have access to water, etc you can need triple that.

Reactions: Dave Mac

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So I dont get it. If the soft wash product is so good as everybody claims why do you need a PW with orbital attachment for the sidewalk?? Does soft wash not work on concrete???
The term softwash is not so much a product as a marketing buzzword. Its a method for applying chems and using low pressure to wash. Low pressure is a relative term. You still need 500-1000 psi to wash most surfaces to really remove the grime. The chems loosen the dirt and kill the mold so you don't have to blast with 3500-4000 psi. Even on a vinyl house there are nests, cobwebs and dirt that need some pressure to coax them off.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Maximum profit is the goal and faster equipment doesn’t always equate to a more efficient business model. Now to be contradicting there are scenarios in which a previous mention business model can be more effective but most residential pw aren’t to the point in which this would be the case.
Thanks for your wisdom. I see you are out of business (again). You selling that brand new 4 gpm machine?

Reactions: bikerboy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts