Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,607 Posts
I've placed many ladders on outdoor rugs. Usually they are pretty stuck in place, be it on concrete or deck boards. Curious how many other painters find this to be an acceptable ladder placement?
A rug is a good idea. Would help, if it had a rubber backing.

It’s all a calculated risk. Can’t be too safe.

In addition to trying to create a “grippier” surface, we also put a sandbag behind the ladder feet, or some other nearby weights (landscaping boulders, full five gallon buckets, etc…) to prevent any chance of sliding back. Composite decking and some asphalts can be really slippery.

·
Premium Member
2,607 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. So generally speaking I am also very paranoid about my ladder placement, and the algae covered deck scenario is one I've also experienced. Had a helper with for that so wasn't a big issue that time lol.

I actually did do this however, I was under the impression the rug I had my ladder on was secure (tested by trying to wiggle on it and didn't move so thought it had a rubber backer) Climbed up to mask a window above the deck to spray the trim and fascia/soffit.
I was at the top and lifting my masking gun when the rug slipped out quickly from under me, and I fell approximately 20'. I landed like a cat (on my feet) and shattered my left ankle, and right heel. My painting career is most likely over, since it will be so long to heal that I'll have to find something else to do.
Make sure to triple check your ladder placements!
As bad as that sounds, it could have been a lot worse.
Hope you make productive use of your recovery time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.