Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, appreciate your sharing of expert (sometimes) knowledge!

This is my second year in business, as a sole proprietor, and looking to expand. Business is doing OK, but if I hired a salesman it might go better.

Does anyone know how much to pay a salesman if say, he worked on commission alone?
I will not do this immediately, just looking for information.

Thanks loads,
tim

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Hi all, appreciate your sharing of expert (sometimes) knowledge!

This is my second year in business, as a sole proprietor, and looking to expand. Business is doing OK, but if I hired a salesman it might go better.

Does anyone know how much to pay a salesman if say, he worked on commission alone?
I will not do this immediately, just looking for information.

Thanks loads,
tim
I'm my own salesman;), working okay so far. What do you do for advertising/marketing ? 2nd year it's going to take a bit of time for folks to get to know your business and your workmanship.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Probably way early for a salesman unless you have a good amount of working capital to generate leads and to fund a sales position. But you already knew that anyway. To answer your question, a pure commissioned salesperson worth his salt would probably cost you 8%-10% of gross.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
10% of total sale up to $60k in one month
15% of total sale from $60k to $100k in one month
Any sales that go over the $100k in one month, we pay an extra 5% on the first $60k.
They are responsible for getting leads, selling the job and being at the job at least once a day.
Then they need to ask for referrals once the job is running

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, your responses are helpful and appreciated. To answer the Q, my marketing is done thru ServiceMagic (5-star-raing) and also, BuildingPros.com. These are 2 lead generating sites.
I just today signed up with Job Service of Wisconsin, which is the largest employment site in the nation. I am looking for experienced painters.
I just today signed up for a professional website, that is guaranteed to increase sales, or I do not pay. I will pay according to leads coming in that are not from the other two sites.
I am getting to old, (well, not yet,) to hustle up and down ladders and do all my own work and sales and maintenance, bookwork, etc. you-all know what I'm spraying!
I want to increase my business, but am determined to do it with little out-of-pocket expense, and little or no credit. Just good, old-fashioned yankee ingenuity and hard work.
I will certainly keep you posted as to how I fare along.

·
6,326 Posts
Thanks guys, your responses are helpful and appreciated. To answer the Q, my marketing is done thru ServiceMagic (5-star-raing) and also, BuildingPros.com. These are 2 lead generating sites.
I just today signed up with Job Service of Wisconsin, which is the largest employment site in the nation. I am looking for experienced painters.
I just today signed up for a professional website, that is guaranteed to increase sales, or I do not pay. I will pay according to leads coming in that are not from the other two sites.
I am getting to old, (well, not yet,) to hustle up and down ladders and do all my own work and sales and maintenance, bookwork, etc. you-all know what I'm spraying!
I want to increase my business, but am determined to do it with little out-of-pocket expense, and little or no credit. Just good, old-fashioned yankee ingenuity and hard work.
I will certainly keep you posted as to how I fare along.
That's the same reason everyone gets into this business:whistling2:

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Ain't that the thruth, Aaron? Then the old axioms of wariness in entertaining something that is too to be true and "you get what you pay for" rear their heads and create that healthy cynicism every experienced business owner has.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
So the salesman is on the job for 10 minutes, maybe? times 5 plus the time driving to and from. That just seems like a lot of time out of the day. If it works for you then maybe I should be visiting my jobs more often.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts