Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Sample Board Materials?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  CLSPAINTPLASTER 
#1 ·
What do ya'll use most often for sample boards? If you do plaster work (lime plaster finishes) is there something from a big box store that works well?

I've been buying my lime plaster (grassello, etc) boards through the rep for my plasters but it add's considerable cost....

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Thank you- Thats a brillant idea!! I’d thought of cutting gypsum board down but the raw edge breaking apart always stopped me from trying 😛 I’ll be heading to Home Depot today to grab some & give it a shot!

Have you tried any of the MDF boards? I wad thinking of giving those a shot with a good coat of primer for grip....

Discussion starter · #8 ·
If you use MDF make sure to use a shellac or oil base primer, water-borne products will create fuzz and raise the surface.

I like to pick up some 1/2"x1" wood strips and create frames around the sample piece. Use CA glue and a nail gun to assemble and attach it. Looks real clean and keeps it from getting dinged up.
I use STIX under my plasters instead of buying the specialty primers...but its waterbased. Any recommendations for oil or shellac primers that have bonding power? I suppose I could add fine sillica sand to BIN but that seems like a lot of work just to create the bonding coat...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.