Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having lost of issues using Behr oil based Enamal. I applied the paint on some closet doors and didn't realize that the paint hadn't fully cured before moving them. After moving the doors i discorded my fingerprints all over. I sanded down the doors with 100 Grit followed by 180 grit. I resprayed yesterday and inspected the doors today and found a bunch of sanding scores in the finish. any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I'm having lost of issues using Behr oil based Enamal. I applied the paint on some closet doors and didn't realize that the paint hadn't fully cured before moving them. After moving the doors i discorded my fingerprints all over. I sanded down the doors with 100 Grit followed by 180 grit. I resprayed yesterday and inspected the doors today and found a bunch of sanding scores in the finish. any recommendations?

Oil enamels are made of very finely ground particles. 100-180 grit is going to show sand marks. Also don't skip too many intermediate grits. 100-120-150-180.

At this point I would try wet sand with some 220 grit, working in a small area at a time then wiping the slurry.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Might be able to get them out w/3M 7447 maroon pads. They work pretty well with soft uncured oils and shouldn’t leave a scratch profile that will show through another coat. The aluminum oxide cuts pretty fast too. Guessing the 7447 pad is the equivalent to 220 -280 sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Use 400 grit between coats of paint or the 3M super fine pads. (ooo)

I had the same issue when sanding Advance WB Alkyd (the first time I used it) between coats. The scratches show through the finish coat. Now I don't sand between coats when using that product.

If you have to sand try "wet sanding" with 240 grit. If that doesn't work use 180. Keep the sandpaper & surface wet at all times. I use a sponge type sandpaper holder that uses hook & loop sandpaper. I dump into water to soak it and then use a spray bottle to keep the surface wet. Works extremely well.

Otherwise, you'll have to start over and dry sand entire surface with 100 grit and then 220.

·
Girl Boss
515 Posts
Couple things come to mind:

1) Behr isn't the best quality OB Enamel (Rust-Oleum woulda been better than Behr) but that can work to your advantage when finish sanding since it's not going to be quite as brittle as a higher solid version.

2) Always WET sand OB enamels & use a FINE grit (220+) paper + sanding block to achieve a consistent scratch pattern. Its brittle when cured (compared to a latex which remain flexible) so it's less forgiving of marks.

I'm guessing you didn't de nib after prime or subsequent quotes & are only trying to remove finger print marks? If so then try picking up an automobile sand paper pack at a shop like auto zone...it will have a good mix of papers with fine grit finish. Use water + a dash of dish soap OR a polishing compound and oil.

Be sure to stop, clean the paper, and re-apply soap solution whenever your paper starts to have resistance/pull. The water will cause it suction to the finish so don't use a lot of pressure...just keep it moving & avoid the edges till last.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went and got a 24in belt sander with mirka abranet belts and took off the finish. sanded with 120 and 180, primed them and sanded with 220 and primed again then sprayed with the behr. I had to use the behr paint because most of the house was already painted with that paint and need to keep everything the same. its been a job form hell.

·
Girl Boss
515 Posts
I went and got a 24in belt sander with mirka abranet belts and took off the finish. sanded with 120 and 180, primed them and sanded with 220 and primed again then sprayed with the behr. I had to use the behr paint because most of the house was already painted with that paint and need to keep everything the same. its been a job form hell.

How did it all turn out? We’ve all been there...sometimes a job just won’t go right no matter how hard u try :/

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,922 Posts
On another note. You do know that Your local paint shop can match any behr colour in a different product. In the future you may consider talking your client into using water based options.. Alot of times just a high build primer like Stix or 123 can fill in your sanding marks as apposed to completely stripping.. Anyhow, hope it worked out for you..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts