Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is nothing you can do.. it won't stop. The boards need to be replaced. I've noticed deep penetrating oils make the problem worse.
That is absolutely untrue . You do not have to replace the deck. First off , its pitch not sap and it will eventually dry up and stop running. Until it does you will have perform light maintenance consisting of cleaning up the pitch when it runs maybe 2 or 3 times a summer in the spots where it is heavier. Not the end of the world folks. I have had direct experience with this using pine that had not been kiln dried to a high enough temperature before using the wood.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,267 Posts
That is absolutely untrue . You do not have to replace the deck. First off , its pitch not sap and it will eventually dry up and stop running. Until it does you will have perform light maintenance consisting of cleaning up the pitch when it runs maybe 2 or 3 times a summer in the spots where it is heavier. Not the end of the world folks. I have had direct experience with this using pine that had not been kiln dried to a high enough temperature before using the wood.
Step 1: Join forum...check!
Step 2: Challenge one of the most knowledgeable and well respected members ever by disagreeing with a statement he never made 12 years ago...check!
Step 3: Give "authoritative" retort consisting of advice already given in this thread by several members, several times, 12 years ago...check!

PressurePros never called it sap. It was called sap by others though, and corrected in 2009 by others to use the proper term "pitch". I'm sure they'll appreciate the stern reminder though. PressurePros also never said to replace the entire deck. He did mention that there was nothing you could do to stop pitch bleed and that replacing those boards would be the only certain remedy. Absolutely everything else you contributed was mentioned by others as well.

Welcome to the forum. Please make your second post an introduction and tell us a bit about yourself. I'd suggest making your 3rd post a bash on Nace, Gough, or RicKnowsPaint.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts