Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bidding to repaint the exterior of a 6 story hotel. Most is accessible by lift but the area around the pool is not accessible by lift. The roof is copper and arch-shaped. What are the best alternatives to a lift that you have used?
Is it absolutely necessary to back roll on a repaint? Any formulas for figuring the extra paint needed for back rolling as well as back rolling prices?
Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As mentioned, I'm only bidding this job. I have never used anything other than a lift so I'm not familiar with what might be the most cost effective and easy to use in an occupied hotel setting.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
As mentioned, I'm only bidding this job. I have never used anything other than a lift so I'm not familiar with what might be the most cost effective and easy to use in an occupied hotel setting.
Seriously, introduce yourself first.

you should work your way up to this type of contract.

just sayin'...

·
Registered
138 Posts
have you considered swing staging? i think you have to have 220 power on the roof and 5000 lbs anchorage points for each worker to use this and some structural factors to be considered. im no expert on this type of work, others here probably know more than me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
dvp, I was considering swing staging, but I don't think it is an option on this hotel being that it has a arch-shaped copper roof. Nothing to anchor the staging to. Thanks for your input!

I will work on photos. I can get lifts that high. I was meaning boom lifts, not a scissor lift. I have found them as long as 135'.

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
Put your 40' ladder on a scissor lift and you will be good to go. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I noticed this thread is over 5 months old. Without seeing the job I would say Swing Stage or Stationary Scaffold. With Boom Lifts out of the question I would go old school Boatswain Chair. Do not try this at home, it takes special traing!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Just noticed my spelling. Really guys Don't Try this at Home until you have gone the extra mile to learn these technics. It is part of Marine, Industrial and Commercial Painting that takes Special "Training and Equipment".

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've used cornish hooks a lot on building where we could not use or where counter weight's would not work. We would use them with a 24'x24" walkboard. Here is a picture of one the jobs where we used the hooks. We had to get the hooks special made for the job due to swing back that was needed to get up against the building wall. When you use hooks you ALWAYS use Tie-Backs also. Also, don't be hard on me. These pictures are about 20 years old so some OSHA guidlines have changed since then:whistling2: This was on a 10 story apartment building.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've used cornish hooks a lot on building where we could not use or where counter weight's would not work. We would use them with a 24'x24" walkboard. Here is a picture of one the jobs where we used the hooks. We had to get the hooks special made for the job due to swing back that was needed to get up against the building wall. When you use hooks you ALWAYS use Tie-Backs also. Also, don't be hard on me. These pictures are about 20 years old so some OSHA guidlines have changed since then:whistling2: This was on a 10 story apartment building.
Heres my response to that......no friggin way am i using cornish hooks, cornish hens or even circle hooks!!lol i dont have the marbles for that type of work.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Come on Hill!!!!!!!!!! Grow you a set of Brass Ones and come on up to New Heights!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ain't got it like I used to either man. I used to do some crazy stuff off the ground. I take my time and stay tied off all the time now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts