Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Scuff X for Cabinets

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  PaintedbyStephen 
#1 ·
I have used Scuff X on a few jobs recently and on four sets of bathroom vanities. I loved it! Very nice finish and appears to be extremely hard. Are folks having success with this product on kitchen cabinets? Considering using it on an upcoming bookcase project. Wondering if it is durable enough. Been using cabinet coat and advance. Thanks much!

#4 ·
I was getting tiny fish eyes that would start to pop up shortly after application. I thought it was a spray thing but to my surprise it also happened when brushing. I got a can of Advance and everything went on fine. I ended up getting refunded 10 gallons through my BM rep. He said there had been a similar problem with a local millwork supplier that was using Scuff-X.

I should say though, the cans were actually from three different batches, so to say it's a bad batch may not be entirely accurate. More so I got some bad cans, or maybe there was multiple bad batches. This was in November so I wondered if maybe the product had gotten too cold somewhere in shipment.

#5 ·
I was getting tiny fish eyes that would start to pop up shortly after application. I thought it was a spray thing but to my surprise it also happened when brushing. I got a can of Advance and everything went on fine. I ended up getting refunded 10 gallons through my BM rep. He said there had been a similar problem with a local millwork supplier that was using Scuff-X.

I should say though, the cans were actually from three different batches, so to say it's a bad batch may not be entirely accurate. More so I got some bad cans, or maybe there was multiple bad batches. This was in November so I wondered if maybe the product had gotten too cold somewhere in shipment.
What do you use now for cabinets? Will you go back to scuffx? Thx!

#6 ·
I've been using it for darker colours like Kendall Charcoal/Hale Navy because of the quick setup, block time. It doesn't brush/ roll nearly as good as Advance but sets up quicker. Not sure on longevity, hand oils etc. Command is also really good in dark colours for blocking time, although I can confirm that hand oils do break it down..atleast head oils. I did my headboard in Black Command and paint got really soft around head area. Maybe I just have a greasy head.

#7 ·
This is what I was thinking of using Scuffx on. Just concerned it will not hold up under sliding books on and off and little fingers over time. Typically I would use advance or CC. But, Scuffx may hold up too. I’ll be spraying it.

Cabinetry Countertop Building Kitchen Kitchen stove

#12 ·
This is what I was thinking of using Scuffx on. Just concerned it will not hold up under sliding books on and off and little fingers over time. Typically I would use advance or CC. But, Scuffx may hold up too. I’ll be spraying it.

View attachment 115279
I personally wouldn't trust any of those to hold up on a bookshelf. If you go that route I would just roll a coat of Clear on the shelving after to protect the paint.

#14 ·
Here’s my 2¢: I’ve used Scuff-X on cabinets, it does set quickly which is nice. The eggshell finish looks perfect for cabinetry, would probably bump up to satin for trim. I’ve used the matte on walls, and it goes on really nice, rolls really smooth and you feel like there’s a good coat of paint on there after you roll a wall or room. It doesn’t feel thin like Regal if you know what I mean.

However, I personally believe that each product was formulated for a specific reason, especially with Benjamin Moore. Scuff-X was formulated as a commercial wall paint to resist scuffing (ie. gyms, schools, scuff prone areas). Scuffing and getting dirty are not the same thing. I have seen a few tests done from other pro painters who tested not only the scuff resistance, but the overall durability as a whole.

The outcome was what I was afraid of: scuff-resistant? Yes. Durable? Ehhh… So if I’m using it in a home, I MAY use it for trim, but definitely won’t be using it for cabinets again. Really, not best used for components that will get dirty and be washed regularly (for example, it’ll probably get washed off of trim and cabinetry, walls too, after extended cleaning).

So, is it a good product? I have no doubt! Is it best for cabinets and heavy wear places like trim and doors? Probably not. Honestly my go to is Breakthrough v250 satin for everyday trim packs and cabinets. Advance takes too long to dry when I’m trying to make money on project turnaround. Breakthrough dries super fast and hard, sticks well without primer in a lot of situations, and has a much nicer finish than BM Command. I do love some Impervo though 😁 That’s reserved though for clients who will pay for the time and material to use the good stuff and get the best product for their money. Unless we’re talking 2k, but that’s a whole different setup…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.