Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using Cabinet Coat / Stix and/or BIN for my kitchen cabinet jobs for years, but I keep hearing good things about Scuff-x on cabinets.

What's your experience been with Scuff-x on cabinets compared to other coatings?

Thx!!!

·
Monarchski
235 Posts
Been using Cabinet Coat / Stix and/or BIN for my kitchen cabinet jobs for years, but I keep hearing good things about Scuff-x on cabinets.

What's your experience been with Scuff-x on cabinets compared to other coatings?

Thx!!!
Cabinet Coat lays down when brush and rolled like nothing I've ever seen but, it mars pretty easily. They no longer claim it will bond to a previously enameled surface. Not that it ever would. The ScuffX is a really easy product to spray, brush or roll and has a very unique feel to it. Almost has a buttery/velvet feel to it and it looks great on cabinets. Just explain to customers that over time, you can and will get some bad spots from hand oils but it touches up easily. It also does require 2 coats to get the durability you'll want. I also tell them to be careful around it for 12 to 14 days while it's still curing.

The Command is another product I like, love the 1 hour re-coat time and it WILL stick to a previously enameled surface without a primer although it's been hard to get recently and it's not a product you want to try and roll. Have used some of the CIC 400 Acrylic series lately and have been pretty impressed with it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I like Scuff-x for cabinets, like Monarch said easy to use and great finished product. The only problem I've got right now is no one seems to be able to get satin in the 1X base for white...any other scuff x users having this problem right now? Thinking about looking for a new product but I hate to do it after it took me quite a few jobs to really figure things out product-wise.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I like Scuff-x for cabinets, like Monarch said easy to use and great finished product. The only problem I've got right now is no one seems to be able to get satin in the 1X base for white...any other scuff x users having this problem right now? Thinking about looking for a new product but I hate to do it after it took me quite a few jobs to really figure things out product-wise.
scuffx and advance share a common raw material that have in short.supply

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
We have been getting it consistently inconsistent. Lately both 485-1X 792-1X and 793-1X have been shipping. So have 486-1X.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been wanting to try Scuff-X myself, and have just specced it for a full interior I'll be starting next week.

I am very curious about sheen levels. What are some opinions for cabinets and doors/trim? I've heard it has more of a sheen so was thinking matte for cabinets and eggshell for doors and trim... The cabinets are going to be a green on the lowers so I think a subtle sheen will look nicer, but would bump it up for doors/trim.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,466 Posts
I've been wanting to try Scuff-X myself, and have just specced it for a full interior I'll be starting next week.

I am very curious about sheen levels. What are some opinions for cabinets and doors/trim? I've heard it has more of a sheen so was thinking matte for cabinets and eggshell for doors and trim... The cabinets are going to be a green on the lowers so I think a subtle sheen will look nicer, but would bump it up for doors/trim.

Thoughts?
Personally I would go atleast eggshell on cabs.

·
Monarchski
235 Posts

Thoughts?
It does sheen up a little when the 2nd coat is applied.

·
Registered
518 Posts

Thoughts?
I use almost exclusively satin. I think it's got a great mellow look but enough sheen to keep it clean and make it sharp looking.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,515 Posts
This is a yard sale TV desk thing I sprayed with scuff-x satin. Obviously not the knobs, though. View attachment 112878
I'm also a big fan of Scuff-X, no matter the sheen. I mostly replied just to offer kudos for being one of the few to provide a pic of the finished piece with sufficient reflective light. So many posts here on PT where painters include pics of their work straight-on or at a distance, but without reflective light, they are far less helpful or telling IMO. Looks great btw.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm also a big fan of Scuff-X, no matter the sheen. I mostly replied just to offer kudos for being one of the few to provide a pic of the finished piece with sufficient reflective light. So many posts here on PT where painters include pics of their work straight-on or at a distance, but without reflective light, they are far less helpful or telling IMO. Looks great btw.
I agree, especially when sheen is not uniform between products. Big thanks to @Woodco!!!

Per the feedback, I'll be going with satin. I'll snap some pics and make a new post when I'm wrapped up.

Kitchen looks great @fromthenorthwest. This forum is such a great library of knowledge; the community isn't bad either..;)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just yesterday I finished this project at my own house. Took it from the studs all the way through to finish. The in wall heater is clutch. All trim is clear white pine and the plywood is A/C fir. All finished with scuff x semi gloss. All brush and roll(except one coat of primer was sprayed). Fresh start 046, regal eggshell on the ceiling, regal pearl on walls, scuff x semi on trim. This will be a great test for this product. We have used many times in the past with excellent results. I did wet sand using a 180 grit block between finish coats. Just have to cut the small indoor/outdoor carpet for the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Hows the hardness in dark colors?
Good question... Its hard as a rock, except the top, which STILL has everything I set on it stick a little bit, even after a few years. BUT, at the same time, you cant scratch it.... When I pull up the stuff thats sticking, it doesnt appear to leave any marks... I think its the rubber feet on the bottom of the stuff, as I have a tiny guitar model, that sticks too, but cant weigh more than a few ounces...

BTW, it was originally a dark stain and finish. I used STIX under the scuff-X. Obviously I didnt give it the cadillac treatment as its mine, but I think the paint itself looks really good.

·
Super Moderator
7,088 Posts
Good question... Its hard as a rock, except the top, which STILL has everything I set on it stick a little bit, even after a few years. BUT, at the same time, you cant scratch it.... When I pull up the stuff thats sticking, it doesnt appear to leave any marks... I think its the rubber feet on the bottom of the stuff, as I have a tiny guitar model, that sticks too, but cant weigh more than a few ounces...

BTW, it was originally a dark stain and finish. I used STIX under the scuff-X. Obviously I didnt give it the cadillac treatment as its mine, but I think the paint itself looks really good.
Have you noticed any breakdown from hand oils yet? That unknown is what's been keeping me from trying it.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,466 Posts
Have you noticed any breakdown from hand oils yet? That unknown is what's been keeping me from trying it.
I have a feeling it hasn't been on the market long enough to observe this. The paint itself was never designed or marketed as a trim/cabinet paint but rather for commercial walls. Not that that means anything, but they may just not warranty it if it fails in that regard.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The stuff I painted doesnt get much handling, so I couldnt tell you. I did spill some essential oil on the TV stand, and it ate the paint and the primer..

I dont really see how anything other than stair rails and areas around doorknobs (on big door) are gonna see enough handling to worry about hand oils.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts