Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could be more critical on an information sharing forum.

For me it doesn't work in the Android version of the app or the browser version on mobile. Is it only available to that rare breed of painter who sits behind a desk?

Or the less smart ass version of the question:
Please help me search these forums so I don't have to open new threads for questions that have already been answered

Thanks!

·
Administrator
19,795 Posts
Sorry - wish I could be more encouraging, but the search function here sucks big time - at best. It has been a source of annoyance and member complaint as long as I've been here. Make sure you use the advanced search option since that will sometimes get better results - but not by much.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
What could be more critical on an information sharing forum.

For me it doesn't work in the Android version of the app or the browser version on mobile. Is it only available to that rare breed of painter who sits behind a desk?

Or the less smart ass version of the question:
Please help me search these forums so I don't have to open new threads for questions that have already been answered

Thanks!
The search function has been lacking for awhile, its quite unfortunate. I don't know why it doesn't work well, never heard an explanation from a admin even though this topic comes up fairly often.

You can get results by searching in google and adding "paint talk" to the search.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks; I'll searchs using Google as suggested. It's too bad this issue isn't seen as more urgent
I read elsewhere someone blaming the lack of functionality on V-bulletin. I frequent several other
V-bulletin forums and the search works much better than here. Well, because they actually work.
My problem isn't that it doesn't return great results. I can't even input a keyword in the search field.
It disappears as soon as I type a character as if access to searching is being denied.
That seems like an admin. accessible setting.
Guess I'll just start new threads.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The search function has been lacking for awhile, its quite unfortunate. I don't know why it doesn't work well, never heard an explanation from a admin even though this topic comes up fairly often.

You can get results by searching in google and adding "paint talk" to the search.
I second the use of Google and adding "paint talk" to the search.

I just add "talk" to the search and it gets the job done fine.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
Sorry - wish I could be more encouraging, but the search function here sucks big time - at best. It has been a source of annoyance and member complaint as long as I've been here. Make sure you use the advanced search option since that will sometimes get better results - but not by much.
truth:yes:

·
Banned
62 Posts
It is VBulletin that has a bad search function. Some other forums use 3rd party addons to vbulletin to add better function to it, so that's why you'll see improved searching there. There may be a licensing, cost, or compatibility issue that makes it so that whoever owns PaintTalk can't use those.

In addition to just searching with "paint talk" in the bar, you can use "site:www.painttalk.com" (without the quotation marks) before your search term, and google will limit the results to this domain. This has the additional benefit of not muddying the water of your actual search (that is to say, the words "paint" and "talk" will not be searched, where if you do it the other way they will be added to whatever you're actually searching for). Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. This place has a wealth of information. It could be the Wikipedia of painting if it was was easily searchable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts