Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
chief bucket carrier
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a proposal for an exterior repaint, cedar siding, existing paint is in pretty good shape other than fading, virtually no peeling or flaking, last painted about 7 years ago.

My sales rep visited the home and is recommending a standard powerwash and prep procedure, and then 2 coats of this "self priming" exterior coating.

This goes against my experience to not oil prime first, but he insists that it isn't required. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I agree, although I have not used the Aura ext. yet. Duration kicks ass, and it is self-priming, and around 15 bucks cheaper than Aura.

·
Super Moderator
9,467 Posts
Why even consider repriming a already painted home which you noted is in good condition???

·
Registered
981 Posts
I agree, although I have not used the Aura ext. yet. Duration kicks ass, and it is self-priming, and around 15 bucks cheaper than Aura.

Maybe it is because I am north of the border but I have never heard of Aura or Duration before . Are they paints or stains ? No paint supplier that I know of in Atlantic Canada handles a paint that will stay on cedar in this area . we always have to sandblast and use an oil stain to get any length of time out of it or else face blistering of the paint before we even are off a southerly exposed wall .

·
Custom Brush Company LLC
4 Posts
Aura is a Lowes product I believe, and Duration is a Sherwin Williams product.
I always say in my Proposals that I prime any bare wood. Unless the paint is Chalking no priming is necessary as a rule of thumb.

·
PNITEX
307 Posts

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Aura is a Lowes product I believe, and Duration is a Sherwin Williams product.
I always say in my Proposals that I prime any bare wood. Unless the paint is Chalking no priming is necessary as a rule of thumb.
Aura would be Benjamin Moore and not sold at Lowes..

Sorry Chris you beat me too it...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Cabot's House Cleaner for etching/cleaning

TSP really helps cut through the chalk. I use that rinse free liquid stuff and downstream it now. works really slick.
I don't recommend this ^ as it would not be very cost effective IMHO. A better route would be Cabot's house cleaner injected. As for the finish I would go with a solid stain, it does not have as much latex which might be a blister problem like you said. That is unless we are talking about white as the color then I would latex prime and paint.

·
chief bucket carrier
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TSP really helps cut through the chalk. I use that rinse free liquid stuff and downstream it now. works really slick.
I like this product also, but do you guys know of a pre-paint house wash that won't etch the window glass?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Duration is a great product! Also like the Hirshfields Platinum Ceramic ext.

Both are self priming.

Priming Bare areas of the wood is needed for a nice clean finish product.

Oil priming...my thoughts...
Oil based paints/primers create a barrier that moisture can not break through. Latex paints/primers are permeable, so to allow moisture to pass through and not cause peeling, blistering, etc.

any body have any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've used a couple of coats of Duration on bare wood and I had bleeding problems. I asked them about that at the SW store and they said, "yeah, that can happen". I will never do that again.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm working on a proposal for an exterior repaint, cedar siding, existing paint is in pretty good shape other than fading, virtually no peeling or flaking, last painted about 7 years ago.

My sales rep visited the home and is recommending a standard powerwash and prep procedure, and then 2 coats of this "self priming" exterior coating.

This goes against my experience to not oil prime first, but he insists that it isn't required. Any thoughts?
WARNING!!! WARNING!!! There is no such thing as a self priming exterior paint, UNLESS, it's really an exterior oil stain!!!!! EVERYTHING ELSE NEEDS PRIMER!!!!! If you are going to paint, ALWAYS use a primer first. Coem on guys!!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
WARNING!!! WARNING!!! There is no such thing as a self priming exterior paint, UNLESS, it's really an exterior oil stain!!!!! EVERYTHING ELSE NEEDS PRIMER!!!!! If you are going to paint, ALWAYS use a primer first. Coem on guys!!!
Yes there is and have been using it for years. If it was not self priming then those Duration jobs from 7 years ago would not look so good to this day. Some people need to accept change a little better especially if your trying to run a successful business.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts