Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi-
We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen in a 22 year old house, and recently finished stripping the cabinets (maple plywood faces). We made some changes to the cabinet layout, and have a few bare areas that need to be filled in with new wood.

Unfortunately with patching in new wood, it's not going to match the 22 year old aged wood...and will stick out like a sore thumb. Yesterday I went to a cabinet and molding manufacturer, and brought some samples so I could explain the problem. He explained that I not only have a wood-matching problem that I won't be happy with the end result (going a lighter color than the old honey maple colored stain)...and further told me that the cabinets were built with a PAINT GRADE wood. When stripped, several areas came out MUCH lighter than others, almost look like a white pine...again I see that as an issue that I won't be happy with when stained.

He basically said I'm not going to be happy with the end result, unless we painted the cabinets instead of staining. The house is rustic and sits in the woods, has all wood floors, trim, etc. I dread the thought of painting the cabinets, but am starting to feel like I have no other alternative. I've done a lot of reading (and watching videos) of people using faux procedures to produce a wood look, and am not wild about the final result.

So here's my question (finally). Is there such a thing as semi-transparent paint? The goal I'd like to achieve by using paint is to hide the difference between the new patched in wood and the old, yet still be able to enjoy the grained areas of the old wood. I won't be happy with an opaque paint, to me they look bland and show no depth.

Any ideas?
Thanks, Brent
Charlotte, NC

·
tsevnami
2,189 Posts
Well for starters, this is a site for pros, sorry buddy. Paint is opaque. The reason to paint them would be that the paint would hide the differences in wood. In fact an opaque stain would do so too. But if you are really bent on having a stained look it should be possible with several coats of semi transparent stain and maybe a pre stain conditioner. Head on over to DIY chatroom to get more help on this.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.