Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’ve painted 5 years now for a good company and it was 99% commercial. I have an opportunity to paint several 2000 sq ft condos for myself. The skill level is there I just want to hear the best sequence. They want the ceilings primed and painted white. On the walls it’s one prime coat and one finish coat (beige) with the primer tinted.what would be the best order? I’m spraying the primer and ceilings, cutting and rolling final coat. Thanks guys!

·
Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,029 Posts
Personally, I'd do it the way you laid it out; spray the primer everywhere, spray and back roll the ceiling, then cut and roll the walls. Too bad they didn't pick a color you could have used on both the walls and ceilings.

·
Administrator
22,029 Posts
I woulo
Thank you!So just use shields considering the different color primers?
I'd just use the same primer for all the surfaces. Never been big on tinting primer myself - unless it was just to take the edge off of the bright white. But, there are as many ways to do a job as there are painters so likelly someone else will be along with a different take.

·
Administrator
22,029 Posts
I don’t like tinted primer myself but that’s what they want just for the fact the walls aren’t getting 2 coated.
In my book, that’s always a problem when “they” hire a professional painter to do a job - then dictate how it should be done.
What will be your situation if their one coat requirement doesn’t do the job? Will you be on the hook for a second?

·
Registered
749 Posts
If theyre gonna cheap out by single coating the walls, I doubt they would pay to backroll the lids... Also, how do you screw up spraying ceilings?

Anyway, the reason for skipping the backroll in this situation is to ensure proper colorhide. backrolling could let the primer color show through.
I get your reasoning on the color hide and think it's a good point. I just figured if you're doing two coats you should be good to back roll without hide issues.

I've seen a few poorly sprayed lids, people not using enough paint or using a tip that's either worn out or too big for their pump to put out a proper fan. Or trying to fog it on and getting cloudy holidays.. just some stuff I've noticed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my book, that’s always a problem when “they” hire a professional painter to do a job - then dictate how it should be done.
What will be your situation if their one coat requirement doesn’t do the job? Will you be on the hook for a second?
No. If that’s what they want that’s what they want. I don’t agree but is what it is? That’s what they have the other painter doing as well on the condos he got.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man I hate GC policies. I could understand if it were all the same colour , but something is going to have to get double coated somewhere depending on the process. What about the trims?? Wish they would just pay to do the job properly.
They put the trim in after the prime so I guess I’ll just hand paint them. I could paper them all I guess but that’s be just as much time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tint all the primer the wall color. Spray the ceilings and dont backroll. Cut the walls twice on the lid line, and once everywhere else, then roll.
They put the trim on after the walls are primed, so if I sprayed them with a 211 or something small I could just cut it back in with the primer before “final” coat right?

·
Administrator
22,029 Posts
They put the trim in after the prime so I guess I’ll just hand paint them. I could paper them all I guess but that’s be just as much time.
Wait? What? You “guess“ you will hand paint them?

Okay, please take this in the spirit it is being offered - some friendly advice from someone who’s done this awhile; but if you plan to make it in this business, or at least make a living, one of the most critical, if not most critical, things you have to do is get a firm grip on your processes and the components of any job you undertake BEFORE you submit a bid. Without doing so, there is no way you can accurately predict your numbers. And as everyone here will tell you, the trim, windows, and doors on any interior job almost always take more time than doing lids and walls - sometimes way more.

Don’t guess, plan it out in advance and work everything out so you will know as much as you possibly can on how you will go about doing a job (ex. the sequencing that you are asking about is an important component). And if what the GC is planning to do is going to cause more headaches than it’s worth, or you don’t feel comfortable at your current experience level in taking it on, then walk away. You don’t indicate how big a job this is, but it seems to be substantial, and if you take it on without having covered your bases - and your ass, you may well lose said ass in the process.

Again, not trying to come across as a dick ( it’s been known to happen) but just as someone who’s been there - done that, and learned some expensive lessons along the way.

·
Registered
749 Posts
They put the trim on after the walls are primed, so if I sprayed them with a 211 or something small I could just cut it back in with the primer before “final” coat right?
If the trim going to be installed before final coat, i would spray all trim before final wall coat. Running 9 inch paper on the walls will keep direct overspray off them. Direct overspray, especially if semi-gloss or even satin, can telegraph through multiple top coats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wait? What? You “guess“ you will hand paint them?

Okay, please take this in the spirit it is being offered - some friendly advice from someone who’s done this awhile; but if you plan to make it in this business, or at least make a living, one of the most critical, if not most critical, things you have to do is get a firm grip on your processes and the components of any job you undertake BEFORE you submit a bid. Without doing so, there is no way you can accurately predict your numbers. And as everyone here will tell you, the trim, windows, and doors on any interior job almost always take more time than doing lids and walls - sometimes way more.

Don’t guess, plan it out in advance and work everything out so you will know as much as you possibly can on how you will go about doing a job (ex. the sequencing that you are asking about is an important component). And if what the GC is planning to do is going to cause more headaches than it’s worth, or you don’t feel comfortable at your current experience level in taking it on, then walk away. You don’t indicate how big a job this is, but it seems to be substantial, and if you take it on without having covered your bases - and your ass, you may well lose said ass in the process.

Again, not trying to come across as a dick ( it’s been known to happen) but just as someone who’s been there - done that, and learned some expensive lessons along the way.
By saying I guess I was more or less asking the question if that would be the best way. And I can paint. Just like I said I haven’t done a new construction commercial like that. Also my bid was rather simple. I calculated everything as normal. I’m also ****ing the lady in the office so I new the construction companies numbers too.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,915 Posts
Everyone knows how to paint, that's besides the point. Question is whether you are going to loose your shirt or not.

By saying I guess I was more or less asking the question if that would be the best way. And I can paint. Just like I said I haven’t done a new construction commercial like that. Also my bid was rather simple. I calculated everything as normal. I’m also ****ing the lady in the office so I new the construction companies numbers too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts