Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
"Hello, Mr Gough, my sons were practicing Lacrosse yesterday . . . . "

You can imagine what our garage door looked like when my brother played it. Those things are worse than a slap shot.
Pre-qualifying Question #37: "Did you or any members of your family attend a prep school?"

Follow up: "Are any members of your family preppy wannabees?"

Actually, I'm now curious whether the siding would dent or break. Time to knock together an air cannon....

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Lacrosse and hockey has grown to be sports payed by a WIDE range of enthusiasts. Even in this blue collar back water in-bred town they have travel lacrosse and hockey leagues, as do many of the public school systems in the area. Hell, I must pass by a dozen back (or front) yard ice rinks on a daily basis in the winter and see kids holding "butterfly nets" running in the spring.

Now crew . . . that's still a bastion of the elite :thumbsup:

(when my brother quit crew to played lacrosse, his ex-crew coach saw him with his stick and called out, "Hey Ahchibald, what's you gonna do with that, catch butterflies?" "No Sir, catch crabs" - oarsmen will get that reference )

Reactions: Gough

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Lacrosse and hockey has grown to be sports payed by a WIDE range of enthusiasts. Even in this blue collar back water in-bred town they have travel lacrosse and hockey leagues, as do many of the public school systems in the area. Hell, I must pass by a dozen back (or front) yard ice rinks on a daily basis in the winter and see kids holding "butterfly nets" running in the spring.

Now crew . . . that's still a bastion of the elite :thumbsup:

(when my brother quit crew to played lacrosse, his ex-crew coach saw him with his stick and called out, "Hey Ahchibald, what's you gonna do with that,p catch butterflies?" "No Sir, catch crabs" - oarsmen will get that reference )
Outside the Northeast, the former still seems to be mainly played by the St. Grottlesex crowd....

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Outside the Northeast, the former still seems to be mainly played by the St. Grottlesex crowd....

Oh I beg to differ. The mid-atlantic has been an intense bleeding ground for lacrosse for decades, long before it was huge at St. Grottlesex

My brother went to UVa and was surprised at the difference in the caliber of freshman players even in the mid-60's.

But I can understand how it is most popular along the Atlantic, after all, I believe it was our indigenous inhabitants who developed it.

Reactions: Gough

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Oh I beg to differ. The mid-atlantic has been an intense bleeding ground for lacrosse for decades, long before it was huge at St. Grottlesex

My brother went to UVa and was surprised at the difference in the caliber of freshman players even in the mid-60's.

But I can understand how it is most popular along the Atlantic, after all, I believe it was our indigenous inhabitants who developed it.
OK, I'll amend my remarks to read, "East", instead of Northeast and include "the Academies" and other prep schools.:)

Prior to 1994, a great bar bet was to ask someone the National Sport of Canada.... I don't think I ever encountered anyone who knew it was lacrosse.

We seem to have drifted a little off topic....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I had to set nails on an apartment complex with hard board siding. Made no sense since the nails aren't supposed to be set on that stuff but it's what they wanted. On real wood it would be easier. Any way what i did was get a center punch the same size as the nail head and held it with a vice grip and hit it with a three pound single jack. Heavy but it set them quicker. I used the vice grips because the vibrations from hammering hurts after awhile. Not fun.
This method of using the vise grips to hold the nail set and swinging a drilling hammer was perfect. I used a 2lb drilling hammer and it worked great. This is the method I will use from here on out. Set all the nails in the trim and flushed up all necessary nails on the body on this two story house in one day. Cheers.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts