Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There,

I hope everybody is doing well. Glad to be here.
I'm from California. I'm trying to obtain a contractor C license for painting and have started attending a course from a contractor license school in California. I haven't worked anywhere. After passing the license examination, I don't know how long it takes to be a licensed painting contractor. I'm also planning to start my own painting business. If getting a license is delayed for any reason or if I fail in the examination, what can I do? Can my license school help me with this? Can I start my business without a license, or is it able to work under any licensed contractor for experience? If anyone knows about this, please do share your thoughts. I need some advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Sounds like you have not applied yet? You will be denied as you do not have the required 4 years of journeyman level experience yet, 2 can be discounted if you have a bachelors degree. You really have wasted money on this school, IMO!! You are supposed to apply and be accepted, you take this school if you think you will need help with the exam. I just read through the 900+ page pdf file they give you and passed easy.
So in your situation, you will either need to a. work for a company for the required time. or b. find a licensed contractor to sign for you. They will be on your license and after the required time you can have them removed. Essentially a co-signer on your application that you will not screw up!!
In the short term, you can get a handyman license or not. You are able to do small jobs, less than $500 per job, not per day!! If you have never painted this may be a descent way to start working. Paint a bedroom or bathroom.
I started eight years ago on this journey with no experience. But I have a BS in management from SDSU, father and grandfather were painters, worked for my dad. Worked at Frazee for 7years, SW for 13. Ran my dad's company for a short time. But I applied and got my license with little actual painting experience.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,818 Posts
Wait. You actually need to be a journeyman to run a painting business in Cali?
Wow. Kind of cool though. Less hacks. But honestly, wouldn't getting some experience in the field(AKA working for someone) be a good way to get started rather than jumping straight into a business?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Wait. You actually need to be a journeyman to run a painting business in Cali?
Wow. Kind of cool though. Less hacks. But honestly, wouldn't getting some experience in the field(AKA working for someone) be a good way to get started rather than jumping straight into a business?
States taht require contractors licenses have standards. I know in Nevada, if you have tax forms for 4 years with painting experience on them, you're considered a journeyman, even if it was two weeks a year...

Yes, it greatly decreases the hack work. You'll get your license yanked if you screw up. They set up sting operations to nail unlicensed painters too. I've heard of unlicensed people getting fined just for throwing someone a verbal ballpark bid.

This worked in my favor when I moved to Texas though... I learned how to paint from licensed companies, and Texas doesnt require licenses, so the majority of painting companies here are absolute garbage so I gained a great reputation really quick since I dont suck.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The license in AZ. was pretty easy to get, at least it was years ago when I took it. It does nothing to protect the contractor, only the consumer. It does require a proof of work experience form. I took a class and it was worth it because it gave you the real questions that are on the test, worded different and in different format, that weeded out all the stuff the state gives you to study. Test was 125 questions on trade skills and business. Real basic stuff and doesn't really prove you know how to paint or run a business. The real cost is paying into the recovery fund and sales tax bond.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do any of the trade schools offer a painting program like they do for HVAC, Electrical, etc.? I've never heard of one in FL. I thought I knew a good bit about painting until I started lurking here and reading y'alls posts. Some formal training would be nice, although a good quality paint contractor who cares, and likes to teach, could be better. You get paid to learn and there is no tuition!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Do any of the trade schools offer a painting program like they do for HVAC, Electrical, etc.? I've never heard of one in FL. I thought I knew a good bit about painting until I started lurking here and reading y'alls posts. Some formal training would be nice, although a good quality paint contractor who cares, and likes to teach, could be better. You get paid to learn and there is no tuition!
The IUPAT has apprentice and journeyman advanced training in most District Councils.
https://iupat.org/wp-content/uploads/IUPAT-Apprenticeship-Training-Directory.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts