Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...looking for fill in this old phone box that is recessed into the wall. The opening is 5x7.

There really isn't anywhere for me to attach strips of wood. The one area I was considering was screwing in two strips to the tabs and the screwing the sheetrock over that. I would just need to find the right screw size.

Do you think there's another way to get this done?
Fixture Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Wood
Fixture Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Wood
Wood Font Tints and shades Automotive tire Handwriting
Fixture Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Wood Wood Font Tints and shades Automotive tire Handwriting
Automotive tire Wood Gas Tints and shades Wire
Fixture Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Wood Wood Font Tints and shades Automotive tire Handwriting Automotive tire Wood Gas Tints and shades Wire

·
Administrator
21,534 Posts
I know drywall guys that would not hesitate to make the hole bigger in order to get to where wood support strips could be mounted around the inside edge of the hole.
Also, those wire nuts look relatively newer so just be sure the power to it is not only dead - but permanently so.

·
Registered
Residential interior/exterior repaints (& staining)
23 Posts
I know drywall guys that would not hesitate to make the hole bigger in order to get to where wood support strips could be mounted around the inside edge of the hole.
Also, those wire nuts look relatively newer so just be sure the power to it is not only dead - but permanently so.
This is a good point. I know it is not up to code to drywall patch over a junction box. No idea about phones. But if those wires are live? That makes me nervous.

Seems a LOT easier just to get an appropriate junction box cover, cover it & call it good IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the power cut to the telephone. It was a non working phone.

·
Administrator
21,534 Posts
I had the power cut to the telephone. It was a non working phone.
It looked like that whole affair was pretty ancient. It was just the newish looking wire nuts that bothered me. Still, always safe better than sorry where any electrical is concerned.

Reactions: celicaxx

·
Registered
119 Posts
California patch:

We do it that way all the time and it works great. You still have to allow ample dry time. If you rush it, you can end up with a bubble as well. My crew tried to heat gun a patch once to accelerate drying. It was dry on the surface, but not on the inside. It ended up making a bubble and I had to tear it out and do it over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts