Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have heavy nicotine stains in client's house and I do mean HEAVY. 30 plus years smoking him and wife. The product I'm using to block stains with is SW white pigmented shellac primer. Just a few questions I want to ask you gurus:

-How on earth did the stains bleed through one layer of shellac in some places? Had to double stain block next day after paint was laid onto shellac. Wasn't a pleasant morning surprise seeing the nicotine bleeding through my hard work from the previous day when all was thought to be fine.(thought the stuff was invincible after seeing it perform in other rooms)

-How terrible is this stuff to breath in? I have OV filter mask but sometimes remove it when cutting in to give me a break from wearing it so long.

-Does oil based primer outperform shellac based primer on stain blocking nicotine?

-Should I have cleaned surfaces with vinegar before priming? Would neutralizing the nico have made a difference? Most surfaces aren't caked on but just stained.

-Finally, will white shellac from SW turn yellow over time through my single coat of paint and show through? It is painted with flat white pro mar 200

Cheers gentlmen and thanks in advanced for the advice and tips, always good to learn!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Nicotine is a beast to cover. Two coats is needed a lot of times. I know some try to clean it first than prime but I was never brave enough to do that. Been a long time since I have had a bad one But I usually did two coats of coverstain drying overnight between coats.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Hi I have heavy nicotine stains in client's house and I do mean HEAVY. 30 plus years smoking him and wife. The product I'm using to block stains with is SW white pigmented shellac primer. Just a few questions I want to ask you gurus:

-How on earth did the stains bleed through one layer of shellac in some places? Had to double stain block next day after paint was laid onto shellac. Wasn't a pleasant morning surprise seeing the nicotine bleeding through my hard work from the previous day when all was thought to be fine.(thought the stuff was invincible after seeing it perform in other rooms)

-How terrible is this stuff to breath in? I have OV filter mask but sometimes remove it when cutting in to give me a break from wearing it so long.

-Does oil based primer outperform shellac based primer on stain blocking nicotine?

-Should I have cleaned surfaces with vinegar before priming? Would neutralizing the nico have made a difference? Most surfaces aren't caked on but just stained.

-Finally, will white shellac from SW turn yellow over time through my single coat of paint and show through? It is painted with flat white pro mar 200

Cheers gentlmen and thanks in advanced for the advice and tips, always good to learn!
Shellac is 60%+ alcohol, so ventilation is important. It is a potential fire hazard, as vapors are heavier than air and tend to collect low, and open sparks can ignite alcohol vapors. SDS sheet should have health information- it is good habit to get into, to locate and review them for products being used.

I believe BIN is the recommended primer for nicotine stains. I trust BIN over SW shellac, I don’t know if there are any noticeable differences however.

*I have used 123 for nicotine stains.
We painted a heavy smoker’s house. It did cover the staining, but not sure if it helped with the cigarette smell or not, because the carpeting was making hard to tell. BIN is used to seal odors.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If it looks bad, we just reroll bin again. The stuff dries so fast, you can usually spot problem areas by the time you're around a room.

In my experience, you've got bed smokers, couch smokers, or bathroom smokers. A person seriously involved in their craft may fit all three categories. I just plan to hit all these spots again.

We don't get the hard nicotine staining like we did 10 or more years ago. I guess smoking is pretty decreased, although I'd trade cat piss for smoking any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I just did a heavy smokers house and one coat of coverstain was all it took. Coverstain or kilz is all I have ever used. One house I did was so bad there were nicotine stains drooling down a switch plate cover. All of it is disgusting to spray or roll .I can only spray 8-10 gallons of the stuff at a time, even bothers my eyes the next day. I don't think I will do anymore of them.

·
Registered
722 Posts

pretty sure it seals the stain it doesnt cover it, should cover fine with a top coat

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
I just did a heavy smokers house and one coat of coverstain was all it took. Coverstain or kilz is all I have ever used. One house I did was so bad there were nicotine stains drooling down a switch plate cover. All of it is disgusting to spray or roll .I can only spray 8-10 gallons of the stuff at a time, even bothers my eyes the next day. I don't think I will do anymore of them.
Painful. Would never put myself in a position to spray that stuff.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

There are products out there for specifically cleaning tar and nicotine off surfaces as well as deodorizing same. I used a product that I sprayed with a foaming sprayer, let it sit for a bit, brushed it, vac'd it up, then rinsed and vac'd with water. Got a lot of the odor out this way. If you prime first, your chance to clean is now gone.

futtyos

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Painful. Would never put myself in a position to spray that stuff.
Yup it is gross but having to do pantry, linen and closets is just as bad when you roll it. Roll a whole small house with nasty stuff is a day plus, spray a whole house with nasty stuff about 40 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Yup it is gross but having to do pantry, linen and closets is just as bad when you roll it. Roll a whole small house with nasty stuff is a day plus, spray a whole house with nasty stuff about 40 minutes.
I have mostly stopped using it indoors; not worth the health risks, imo.
Some of the water-based primers are getting pretty good.

·
Registered
3 Posts

recently used the synthetic shellac primer from S-W as my local preferred paint store was out of bins alcohol shellac

immediately upon opening I noticed 2 familiar odors, 1 spirits and 2 synthetic shellac

so I read the back of the can and sure enough S-W synthetic shellac primer is oil based so I did a test sample and wasn’t very happy with the results cleaned out the machine and broke into some stocked product that I keep in shop for another hybrid system I use
This of course burned me a little bit on price as I was using bins to keep inside the budget.
However compromising a finish to me is much less important than price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts