Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone uses SW Bath paint. Looking for a reasonably priced paint to use on bathroom walls and ceiling and also some kitchen walls.

On a side note. SW guy told me they had a new ceiling paint. Think he called it "SW Ceiling Paint" He mentioned it was pretty much dead flat. Couldn't find it on their website.

And finally. Roman RX-35.... same as Gardz or inferior product.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Just curious why you want to use the bath paint? Any particular reason/need?

If your looking for a good wall/ceiling paint in bathrooms you could try their Harmony line.

For ceilings you can look into Eminence from Sherwin. See if that might be something your looking for possibly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious why you want to use the bath paint? Any particular reason/need?

If your looking for a good wall/ceiling paint in bathrooms you could try their Harmony line.

For ceilings you can look into Eminence from Sherwin. See if that might be something your looking for possibly.
This place may be rented to college students so I picture lots of long showers and high humidity.

I have had good luck with BM Bath and Spa but it's a little pricey for this job. I'm afraid the Zinser perma-white might be a little temperamental. Had good luck with BM Kitchen and Bath a bunch of years ago but not sure if it is available near me.

The SW Bath is available in the mid thirties, but I never here anyone mentioning it at all, never mind as a go to paint.

Read the threads and people seem to like the perma-white and BM B&S. Just curious if there were any other real contenders.

·
Super Moderator
6,413 Posts
How's BM Regal in terms of price comparison? Comes with mold inhibitors and mildewcides. Could go with pearl if your concerned their really gonna go nuts with long hot showers.

I can't even get the old BM Kitch and bath anymore around here. It cost more than Regal, and once they started adding the mold inhibitors and mildewcides to Regal it became useless to stock it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How's BM Regal in terms of price comparison? Comes with mold inhibitors and mildewcides. Could go with pearl if your concerned their really gonna go nuts with long hot showers.

I can't even get the old BM Kitch and bath anymore around here. It cost more than Regal, and once they started adding the mold inhibitors and mildewcides to Regal it became useless to stock it.
I was thinking about going with the aquapearl. It goes a long way and I actually love the way it looks when done right. If Aquapearl will handle the high moisture levels in an over-used bathroom then that would be my preference at the moment.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
nope. It sucks.

Reactions: Lakesidex

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have used the sw bath paint a few times it did not impress me. but always had better results with duration in bathrooms with out a vent. also you can buy a small packet of mildewcide and have the store add it to another line and mix it up for you or stir it your self.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
nope. It sucks.
Wow... Why not tell me what you really think.:notworthy:

I do love the pearl... have it in some hallways in my own house.

Found some descent info on DIY chatroom concerning the SW Bath paint. Particularly some good info by slickshift.

I can get the SW Bath in the mid thirties which is a lot cheaper then I can get the BM B&S. I'm still learning the SW product lines - what works and what's crap.

One of the problems where I live is that SW is the only place around that comes close to being a "real" paint store.

I can get some of the BM lines from a hardware store but I miss doing business with a real paint store the caters to the BM lines.

And I like the guys at my local SW. It is a low volume store and I take the time to talk with everyone there, and they do a good job working with me and suggesting products that may work for me.

Believe me I miss working with a real paint store. Started out in the 80's, and for years I was getting all my paint from "The Paint Center" in Stamford CT. Then, for the next 20 years it was mostly from Brandmans. After that, it was American Paint and United Paint in Glastonbury CT and Weathersfield CT respectively. Ah the good ol days!

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Wow... Why not tell me what you really think.:notworthy:

I do love the pearl... have it in some hallways in my own house.

Found some descent info on DIY chatroom concerning the SW Bath paint. Particularly some good info by slickshift.

I can get the SW Bath in the mid thirties which is a lot cheaper then I can get the BM B&S. I'm still learning the SW product lines - what works and what's crap.

One of the problems where I live is that SW is the only place around that comes close to being a "real" paint store.

I can get some of the BM lines from a hardware store but I miss doing business with a real paint store the caters to the BM lines.

And I like the guys at my local SW. It is a low volume store and I take the time to talk with everyone there, and they do a good job working with me and suggesting products that may work for me.

Believe me I miss working with a real paint store. Started out in the 80's, and for years I was getting all my paint from "The Paint Center" in Stamford CT. Then, for the next 20 years it was mostly from Brandmans. After that, it was American Paint and United Paint in Glastonbury CT and Weathersfield CT respectively. Ah the good ol days!
Then use it. I'm sure it will meet your expectations. I prefer the Permawhite myself because it has been around for years and isn't outrageously expensive.

And exactly why do you think there are no more "real" paint stores anymore? Ask Sam Waltons heirs. Pretty much the same thing SW has done.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then use it. I'm sure it will meet your expectations. I prefer the Permawhite myself because it has been around for years and isn't outrageously expensive.

And exactly why do you think there are no more "real" paint stores anymore? Ask Sam Waltons heirs. Pretty much the same thing SW has done.
Actually I understand and agree with your beef about big business. Problem with my area is when I needed to pick up basic a 2 1/2" angle black china bristle - like yesterday, my only options were the local hardware store at $23 or SW at at about $11.

Thanks for the perma-white vote. I'm wearing my Zinsser T-shirt as we speak.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,413 Posts
I've seen some PT members state concerns about PermaWhite- I have used tons of this product, with no issues.
I tried it once on my bathroom ceiling. Got a zillion micro bubbles that dried and popped. Sanded, dusted, got another gallon. Same thing. Gave up.

Got a gallon of BM K/B pearl. Two coats later, ceiling looked great.

I really wanted the permawhite to work as I love Zinnser primers. Sadly, it left me thinking they should stick to primers.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
aw just go to Home depot and get behrs paint. It's cheaper and it covers better. That's all that really matters anyway.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
aw just go to Home depot and get behrs paint. It's cheaper and it covers better. That's all that really matters anyway.
Wow, I'd like to use that as my tag line - with you're permission of course.

I find it interesting that the main candidates for a true Kitchen and Bath paint have either been the BM B&S and the Perma-White and not much else. Their were also a few recommendations for higher end wall paints like the Regal Select that contain some mildewcides. And BM Kitchen and Bath, which can be hard to find.

Glad it turned out to be so straight forward. :whistling2:

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
Just wondering if anyone uses SW Bath paint. Looking for a reasonably priced paint to use on bathroom walls and ceiling and also some kitchen walls.

On a side note. SW guy told me they had a new ceiling paint. Think he called it "SW Ceiling Paint" He mentioned it was pretty much dead flat. Couldn't find it on their website.

And finally. Roman RX-35.... same as Gardz or inferior product.

Thanks
sort of the same but Gardz works better imo

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have used the sw bath paint a few times it did not impress me. but always had better results with duration in bathrooms with out a vent. also you can buy a small packet of mildewcide and have the store add it to another line and mix it up for you or stir it your self.
The SW Bath paint post I read was from 2007. A lifetime ago in paint years.

What was it about the paint that didn't impress?

What I care about primarily are:
The paint firmly adhering to the wall.
Not getting water streaks from moisture from showers.
That it can handle a little washing if needed.
Resist mildew.

Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts

disclaimer. Im not here to make friends..but Mr. pacman obviously has a agenda. He seems to trash alot of products from others.

·
Registered
192 Posts
In fact if he actually operates a store he sure has a lot of free time to pump his piss.
When did paint dealers get a soap box on this site to promote ??
he clearly knocks sw,ppg,etc and pushes his agenda.. where are the mods????

1 - 20 of 35 Posts