Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I feel as though I would qualify as someone who could review a product and give an honest opinion without bias. I like this forum and I am more than certain that I am amongst some of the best painters in the industry so I am going to give my review and will enjoy reading your comments and opinions. I am not interested in changing anyone's mind or swaying them into using what I like. I think we as a group can enhance our skills with these type of commentary so here goes.

I have two reasons for using this product.
One I like to work with the best materials I can and this is supposed to be SW's best.
Two it was on sale. Without looking I thinks I paid roughly $45.00

I primed all my doors with Kilz because they had been stained many years ago and no poly applied so they were basically raw. I did not sand to avoid breaking the seal and bleed through and proceeded to apply one coat of Emerald satin tinted Dove white. Coverage was terrific. A complete sanding was done at this point and another finish coat of Emerald was applied.
I stepped back at this point and looked over the finish as I had one more coat left to do. That's right three full coats of finish.

I hated the sheen. Totally dead. Somewhere between eggshell and flat. The even bigger negative even after sanding everything super smooth, vacuming and tacking it all down nice the second coat felt like 400 sandpaper. this is BAD. I have been applying satin finishes for many years and I have a certain expectation. I called my Sherwin Williams store to discuss it with the manager who was MIA. So I proceeded to discuss it with the salesperson on duty. I told her what I was thinking and her response was " satin is supposed to be like eggshell". Not really being in the mood for splitting hairs because I have a fussy customer who is paying for a high end paint job to please.
I made an executive decision and even though I had 90 percent of a gallon of Emerald left I switched to Advance semi. I suppose I could have used Emerald semi-gloss but I was afraid of getting that 400 grit feel.
Advance saved my ass. It also made it clear to me that there is no point in experimenting anymore. For these high end jobs Advance is my first choice. If I need to go with a lower cost product to keep with a budget BM Aquaglo or SW Cashmere will be my second choice. I am all done experimenting with GenX paints. I believe I have it all sorted out.
Bottom line is I give Emerald a thumbs up for coverage and ease of application and a thumbs down for sheen and finish quality.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please keep in mind that I have been using BM for 30 years. The SW invited me to try there products. They offered me some free gallons and I tried them. We also discussed in detail what product I use and my concerns.
I was advised to use both Emerald and Cashmere as SW's best trim paints.
Having never used any SW products I was and still am depending on the sales people for guidance. It's no longer a concern as expressed in my initial post.
I do however, like the exterior duration and do expect to use plenty of that this season.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly I don't find anything difficult about Advance.
Also I don't think you need to be so harsh. I might be the moron. I could have researched it a little better myself. I also think they are nice people.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Maybe I'm one of the morons but I use Cashmere Medium Luster on trim all of the time. Cashmere is easier to work with then anything else SW sells on trim. Fact is lots of guys use SuperPaint on trim and like it. I guess people still use wall paints on trim.

Now PC is a different animal that I also use for certain jobs.I guess BM Advance is similar to PC.

I also met guys that swore by Regal Aquaglo Semi for trim years ago.

FYI, Muralo Ultimate is my favorite trim paint that stands above anything I mentioned. I wonder if that's made for walls also? :)

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
My biggest observation is this: you started with satin in emerald and finished with semi in advance. Why not compare semi to semi to give it a chance at b eing somewhat apples to apples?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is Emerald really supposed to be a wall- only paint? I love having lots of options, but some paints fall a bit short of their pricetags methinks. Gets annoying. Mind you, I do welcome paying 50 bucks a gallon for Aura... Glad benny saved the day :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Funny, Brian offered a free evaluation of the paint as recommended by SW and all you guys can do is pounce. I for one am thankful because every time I walk into a sherwin store my head spins from their 27+ lines of paint and what is good for what.

·
Painting Co. Owner
256 Posts
I walked into SW store the other day and was greeted by 4-fivers of something called PROPERTY MANAGEMENT PAINT. $48.00 per fiver. Liquid chalk? So glad I will never have to use that slurry. Emerald is great for walls. New favorite thing. I get it for $49.00 a gallon, so not that bad.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts