Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I agree but all major paint manufacturers are guilty of this "product overload".
Yeah but they were ahead of the curve. BM was relatively simple before the gennex/voc changes. You had your top of the line, Regal, a slightly lower line and perhaps only a re-label, superspec, then you had two lower grades of apartment paint. P&L was similar, top of the line Accolade, high quality 2nd Redseal, and then three tiers of apartment paint.

Now you have BM was 3-4 top of the line paints and other companies 2nd in commands have gone ceramic making you wonder if it's better than the top line that has no ceramic.

Sherwin was this confusing 10 years ago.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just got back from my SW store and I was surprised at what the store manager told me in a blind test emerald interior came second to BM Aurora. This blind test was done by SW, Emerald is being reformulated. on a side note Cashmere is being redone and so is harmony and duration interiors. Cashmere will be coming out in zero VOC in april and harmony also with a oder blocking absorption for five years.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah but they were ahead of the curve. BM was relatively simple before the gennex/voc changes. You had your top of the line, Regal, a slightly lower line and perhaps only a re-label, superspec, then you had two lower grades of apartment paint. P&L was similar, top of the line Accolade, high quality 2nd Redseal, and then three tiers of apartment paint.

Now you have BM was 3-4 top of the line paints and other companies 2nd in commands have gone ceramic making you wonder if it's better than the top line that has no ceramic.

Sherwin was this confusing 10 years ago.
It is not that confusing just like a pro golf store they may carry a lot of different clubs each one suited for a different task same with SW a lot of different paints each one formulated for a specific task.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It is not that confusing just like a pro golf store they may carry a lot of different clubs each one suited for a different task same with SW a lot of different paints each one formulated for a specific task.
I used to be a country club golf pro and it feels the same way....but now I'm learning paint products(just starting out).

Just like a good pro will figure out what lie angle or launch angle is ideal for your swing, I need to know what products will produce the best results for that particular application.

Seems like most are leaning towards aurora and pc for trimwork...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tried the emerald ext gloss....

The black took 4 coats to cover dark grey....
And two coats of white to cover white primer....

I was using gloss.. The sheen is better than duration, spreads out like BMW Arua and covers like valspar :mad:

Yet costs the same as BMW Arua :censored:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Funny, Brian offered a free evaluation of the paint as recommended by SW and all you guys can do is pounce. I for one am thankful because every time I walk into a sherwin store my head spins from their 27+ lines of paint and what is good for what.
SOOo true! however, the manager at my local store had nothing bad to say about my choice of using ppg's Manor Hall line!:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I tried the emerald ext gloss....

The black took 4 coats to cover dark grey....
And two coats of white to cover white primer....

I was using gloss.. The sheen is better than duration, spreads out like BMW Arua and covers like valspar :mad:

Yet costs the same as BMW Arua :censored:
Black.

Black is mixed into ultradeep which is a clear base, more coats are required to get proper coverage.
Also, gloss is a tough sheen to lay off and get proper coverage...even white.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Just got back from my SW store and I was surprised at what the store manager told me in a blind test emerald interior came second to BM Aurora. This blind test was done by SW, Emerald is being reformulated. on a side note Cashmere is being redone and so is harmony and duration interiors. Cashmere will be coming out in zero VOC in april and harmony also with a oder blocking absorption for five years.
Blind chemists made Emerald!:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
this was in interesting discussion around paint...I find it interesting that certain paints are being used outside of their intended purpose. But I also know from working with the multiple SW store locations, and even with managers of those stores, many aren't "field" tested and don't even know what products they carry, their intended formulations, and, success stories. There is a varied product line for multiple purposes. Yes, many cross over "OK" sometimes, but without following the right steps, it can end in disappointment. Having sprayed with (airless, conventional, HVLP, air assist), brushed, rolled, dabbed, poured, and any other application methods everything from alkyd, latex, latex-alkyd, lacquer, poly, etc. etc. over every surface imaginable, the one thing I learned the hard way every..single..time, is if you haven't properly prepped your surface, you won't get the final finish you may seek. There is no such thing as primer based paint. that's marketing. And if you want high end finishes, use high end coatings, for their intended purpose. There are no short cuts and you may convince your customer of that, but you're selling yourself short. Emerald is a fantastic wall, and exterior surface paint line. Interior trim? no. PC is the top end, behind Muralo when discussing anything in the waterborne realm. Even BM has to concede with impervo alkyd. Now, everyone's experience is different and I totally respect that, but when using a particular coating for it's intended purpose, you'll have much more consistency, and, can set the right expectation with your prospective clients. And isn't that what we all want?

·
Professional Painter
356 Posts
Totally agree with product overload with paint today. It's sort of ridiculous that a contractor can't use one product line for all their needs. With Benny Moore's Regal line of years ago, it was the perfect line for all needs. Regal Wall Satin (Flat) for walls,
Regal Aquavelvet (Eggshell) for walls in kitchen and baths, and Regal Aquaglo (Semi) for trim. Used it for years as my go to line with absolutely consistent and flawless results. Today you have to pick and choose from different brands and product lines to get the desired finish and results needed for the job. I've had clients question me about having different brands or lines on their job and have to give them the whole run down on how one line works great for walls but sucks for trim, and how one lines eggshell is too glossy or too dull, blah blah blah. It's becomes orally exhausting. For the price tag of today's higher end paints, you shouldn't have to be constantly experimenting with different lines to find your go to product line. And what happens when you finally get comfortable with a specific product? They either reformulate it to junk or drop it completely. Unfrickenbelievable.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
In the next week or two I'll be using the Exterior Emerald Paint, going to see how it all turns out. I'll post some results when I get done with it. It will be an off white or white color, but put on some exterior trim work/window surrounds so hopefully it comes out as well as I like it to.

·
Registered
519 Posts
In the next week or two I'll be using the Exterior Emerald Paint, going to see how it all turns out. I'll post some results when I get done with it. It will be an off white or white color, but put on some exterior trim work/window surrounds so hopefully it comes out as well as I like it to.
exterior is great better then their interior side.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
exterior is great better then their interior side.
How did it cover and level for you? Ever do exterior trim with it?

I'm a bit worried about how its going to look and I don't want to have to re-do the work if I don't like it. Everyone at Sherwin keeps saying for the look i'm wanting I should go with Solo (int/ext) but it won't last as long as a dedicated exterior paint.

Decisions, decisions. :001_unsure:

·
Registered
7,822 Posts

I'm a bit worried about how its going to look and I don't want to have to re-do the work if I don't like it. Everyone at Sherwin keeps saying for the look i'm wanting I should go with Solo (int/ext) but it won't last as long as a dedicated exterior paint.

Its much better than Duration in terms of hide and workability. I also like the appearance of Resilience so thats an option.

·
Registered
519 Posts

It was like painting with a nice thick oil paint buttery smooth.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I walked into SW store the other day and was greeted by 4-fivers of something called PROPERTY MANAGEMENT PAINT. $48.00 per fiver. Liquid chalk? So glad I will never have to use that slurry. Emerald is great for walls. New favorite thing. I get it for $49.00 a gallon, so not that bad.
Greg, I've used that SW PM paint before on apartments (don't ask). "Slurry" is too good of a word for it. That ch!t ain't worth a :censored:!

Man I wish we had a Benny Moore in town!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Promar 200 acrylic alkyd has twice the VOC of PC acrylic alkyd, so it must be better :)...I would guess it might have better application properties. Also cheaper.

Having brushed both out, I definitely agree. The 200 hybrid is the best-leveling WB paint I've ever used, Advance included. When I worked at a BM dealer I did brush-outs and showed them to the owner and the reps in a blind comparison. All picked the 200 as the best finish. I just wish the resin were 100% alkyd like Advance.

Emerald is terrible compared to either in terms of finish quality and appearance on trim. Ropey appearance and a slightly gritty feel.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts