Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feel as though I would qualify as someone who could review a product and give an honest opinion without bias. I like this forum and I am more than certain that I am amongst some of the best painters in the industry so I am going to give my review and will enjoy reading your comments and opinions. I am not interested in changing anyone's mind or swaying them into using what I like. I think we as a group can enhance our skills with these type of commentary so here goes.

I have two reasons for using this product.
One I like to work with the best materials I can and this is supposed to be SW's best.
Two it was on sale. Without looking I thinks I paid roughly $45.00

I primed all my doors with Kilz because they had been stained many years ago and no poly applied so they were basically raw. I did not sand to avoid breaking the seal and bleed through and proceeded to apply one coat of Emerald satin tinted Dove white. Coverage was terrific. A complete sanding was done at this point and another finish coat of Emerald was applied.
I stepped back at this point and looked over the finish as I had one more coat left to do. That's right three full coats of finish.

I hated the sheen. Totally dead. Somewhere between eggshell and flat. The even bigger negative even after sanding everything super smooth, vacuming and tacking it all down nice the second coat felt like 400 sandpaper. this is BAD. I have been applying satin finishes for many years and I have a certain expectation. I called my Sherwin Williams store to discuss it with the manager who was MIA. So I proceeded to discuss it with the salesperson on duty. I told her what I was thinking and her response was " satin is supposed to be like eggshell". Not really being in the mood for splitting hairs because I have a fussy customer who is paying for a high end paint job to please.
I made an executive decision and even though I had 90 percent of a gallon of Emerald left I switched to Advance semi. I suppose I could have used Emerald semi-gloss but I was afraid of getting that 400 grit feel.
Advance saved my ass. It also made it clear to me that there is no point in experimenting anymore. For these high end jobs Advance is my first choice. If I need to go with a lower cost product to keep with a budget BM Aquaglo or SW Cashmere will be my second choice. I am all done experimenting with GenX paints. I believe I have it all sorted out.
Bottom line is I give Emerald a thumbs up for coverage and ease of application and a thumbs down for sheen and finish quality.

What do you guys think?
So I just used emerald flat on a ceilings I spayed twice and rolled twice and still see the roller lines for $60 a gallon this is just unacceptable I spoke with a rep he said I was making my lines to big and the paint drys very fast honestly there should be no reason what so ever to use 11 gallons of paint on a ceiling and still have a problem

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,515 Posts
So I just used emerald flat on a ceilings I spayed twice and rolled twice and still see the roller lines for $60 a gallon this is just unacceptable I spoke with a rep he said I was making my lines to big and the paint drys very fast honestly there should be no reason what so ever to use 11 gallons of paint on a ceiling and still have a problem
Welcome to PaintTalk. Without more info as to your process as well as pictures, I can only guess, but if I HAD to guess, I'd say there's a 95% chance it was operator error and not the shortcomings of the product. Feel free to provide ample details and pics if you'd like, and hopefully you'll get some useful feedback from one of our members. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,466 Posts
Welcome to PaintTalk. Without more info as to your process as well as pictures, I can only guess, but if I HAD to guess, I'd say there's a 95% chance it was operator error and not the shortcomings of the product. Feel free to provide ample details and pics if you'd like, and hopefully you'll get some useful feedback from one of our members. Good luck.
Not to mention, thread is 9 years old. Yawn..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Honestly I don't find anything difficult about Advance.
Also I don't think you need to be so harsh. I might be the moron. I could have researched it a little better myself. I also think they are nice people.
I don't know. You should be able to depend on the staff at the store. When the PPG store near me closed, I needed a replacement for the Breakthrough! that I had been using for cabinet work.
I went to Sherwin Williams and told them what I had been using and what it was for, and they gave me Emerald (but the wall paint version). It was, and remained too soft for cabinet work. I complained but I could see that I was dealing with an ill-trained staff. I then went to Benjamin Moore and they were both knowledgeable and accommodating. I left with a gallon of Advance satin.

I've been happy with that product and the staff. An excellent product and an inept staff does not make a suitable vendor. A good vendor needs to provide both.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't know. You should be able to depend on the staff at the store. When the PPG store near me closed, I needed a replacement for the Breakthrough! that I had been using for cabinet work.
I went to Sherwin Williams and told them what I had been using and what it was for, and they gave me Emerald (but the wall paint version). It was, and remained too soft for cabinet work. I complained but I could see that I was dealing with an ill-trained staff. I then went to Benjamin Moore and they were both knowledgeable and accommodating. I left with a gallon of Advance satin.

I've been happy with that product and the staff. An excellent product and an inept staff does not make a suitable vendor. A good vendor needs to provide both.
Unless I know a staff member personally at my SW (as in, I've shot the **** with them about paint and kinda grilled them on their knowledge) I don't think I'll ever trust their knowledge. I wanted a quart of deep base Emerald UTE for a front door job and it was going to be a week turn around (this was pre-2020 shortages, mind you) and they ended up selling me on Porch and Floor enamel which I was using for the rest of small areas of exterior trim anyway for it, and it went about as mediocre as you'd expect. They sold it to me as "well this one door company buys it and sprays it and they like it, so it should be good" but no.

That said, my local BM store always claims ignorance to other brands and their equivalents, only PPG really sold me on equivalents. They said "Manor Hall is very Regal, let's just say that."

One thing I actually like about the Emerald wall paint is while it's a bit thick and doesn't level too great, it actually has really surprisingly great adhesion. I got some on the plastic part of my car key and it didn't come off for an entire year of me picking at it. I used a quart on a bathroom job on some plastic glossy trim where I'd have questioned most other paint's adhesion ability without priming, and it stuck there, too.

·
Super Moderator
7,088 Posts
I use Emerald almost everyday and getting it off my hands is a chore. With Emerald Urethane I have to use krud kutter, crazy good adhesion with Emerald.

I used the new formula Emerald Urethane semi in an ultra deep yesterday on three exterior doors and was able to close them after an hour and a half without it sticking to the weather strips, big improvement with the new formulation.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
I use Emerald almost everyday and getting it off my hands is a chore. With Emerald Urethane I have to use krud kutter, crazy good adhesion with Emerald.

I used the new formula Emerald Urethane semi in an ultra deep yesterday on three exterior doors and was able to close them after an hour and a half without it sticking to the weather strips, big improvement with the new formulation.
I like the new formulation of Emerald Urethane. The look and feel is much improved.
I also did a job this week using a satin "Ultra Deep Base" red, and we could move and re-coat the doors in an hour and lean a corner against a wall (probably helped that the relative humidity was 26%, but I'll take it!). We used a grey base primer, and it only took two top coats to over.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts