Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are by the same company but the paint in the SW store is more expensive than the HGTV line at Lowe's.
I see so many painters buying the SW superpaint from the SW store that runs around $50 a gallon while the HGTV Infinity is around $42 a gallon.
Is the Superpaint better than the HGTV line?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
They are by the same company but the paint in the SW store is more expensive than the HGTV line at Lowe's.
I see so many painters buying the SW superpaint from the SW store that runs around $50 a gallon while the HGTV Infinity is around $42 a gallon.
Is the Superpaint better than the HGTV line?

Are you paying full retail $58.99 for superpaint? If you act fast SW has a 30% off sale OCT 26-Nov1. If you miss this super sale you will have to wait until their next sale Nov2.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Well first off, the contractors you see buying super paint for at $50 or whatever, is probably incorrect pricing. I'm sure they buy it for much less, so that isn't a fair comparison to base it only on price.

I would put a lot of things the store has over the box store SW versions. They aren't bad, get the job done, but not quite the same. Especially when you start getting into the pro industrial line, two completely different animals.

Super Paint is going to be a better paint than HGTV line. I'd venture to say Super and ProMar 200 are about the same. If you compare it to the HP line, then ProMar would win out as better.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
No, just go in and tell them you want to setup a contractor account. You'll get a rep assigned to your area you can contact and discuss pricing with.
How can a contractor get discount? do you need to buy a certain amount of paint before you start to get discount?
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,338 Posts

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
according to benchmark testing done by the hillbilly paint lab; SW HGTV "Infinity" paint is a direct Duration re-label. Side by side drawdown, side by side roll out, viscosity test, hide test, pencil hardness, fineness of grind, brush drag, etc, etc, etc are all 100% identical for these two products. The other SW HGTV product "Showcase" is more than likely the old Classic 99 formulation or close to it. It is has a slightly better hide and is a little less grayed off than Promar 200. I don't have any new stock Classic 99 to test it against but from my memory of how the Classic 99 performed this is what i believe. The exterior SW HGTV products i haven't tested yet.

Reactions: emerreamarra

·
@Lowes
12 Posts
according to benchmark testing done by the hillbilly paint lab; SW HGTV "Infinity" paint is a direct Duration re-label. Side by side drawdown, side by side roll out, viscosity test, hide test, pencil hardness, fineness of grind, brush drag, etc, etc, etc are all 100% identical for these two products. The other SW HGTV product "Showcase" is more than likely the old Classic 99 formulation or close to it. It is has a slightly better hide and is a little less grayed off than Promar 200. I don't have any new stock Classic 99 to test it against but from my memory of how the Classic 99 performed this is what i believe. The exterior SW HGTV products i haven't tested yet.
2018 Infinity is actually a direct relabel of Valspar Reserve. ;)

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
2018 Infinity is actually a direct relabel of Valspar Reserve. ;)
It very well could be now. I tested it a couple of years ago before the Valspar buyout. Quite a few SW products will be transitioning to Valspar formulations in the near future because they are cheaper to make.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It very well could be now. I tested it a couple of years ago before the Valspar buyout. Quite a few SW products will be transitioning to Valspar formulations in the near future because they are cheaper to make.

Not sure this makes sense, as HGTV Infinity was not released until after SW acquired Valspar . So there would have been no comparison previous to that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This made me chuckle a bit. Remember back when SW introduced the plastic, square containers for Duration Home and Superpaint? Knowing how they love to cross-fill products, I ran into a Meijer store and saw some Dutch Boy in the same container for about half of the shelf price. Smh. It's rare that I see SW actually make a new product... just relabels mostly.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Not sure this makes sense, as HGTV Infinity was not released until after SW acquired Valspar . So there would have been no comparison previous to that.
No, HGTV/SW was in my local Lowe's almost a year before they bought Valspar. There are posts on PT discussing both HGTV/SW and the Valspar buyout. I'm quite sure there was a considerable amount of time between them. At least in Ohio. The infinity product was released right about the same time as the buyout, actually during the time period the whole thing was being delayed by the feds for their anti-trust investigation. It probably is a Valspar product. I'm sure they were cheating the system a little bit and not thinking the feds might not allow the buyout. It was close, believe me.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
This made me chuckle a bit. Remember back when SW introduced the plastic, square containers for Duration Home and Superpaint? Knowing how they love to cross-fill products, I ran into a Meijer store and saw some Dutch Boy in the same container for about half of the shelf price. Smh. It's rare that I see SW actually make a new product... just relabels mostly.
Why design and engineer a new product when an existing product will work well enough? That isn't how companies like SW make money. Buying out competitors and re-labeling their cheaper products is how SW grew to the company it is today. There never was an actual "core" company called Sherwin Williams. It was just a name given to the company that was created as a name for a succession of buy-outs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts