Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

should I do this?

5K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  boman47k 
#1 ·
I found a builder who wants to paint 2 buildings exterior only. It's not hard and they r only 20' high. He agreed to buy the paint instead of giving me the money as a down payment.

But he doesn't want to rent or give me money for scissors or areal lift. He says it is my job to rent it but he will pay that money back to me as soon as I return the equipment I just need to show him receipts. That thing costs about $1500 for 1 week. He claims he had bad experience in the past with people whom he gave money in advance.

I don't know if I can trust him. I fear he might not pay me or something because the whole deal would cost him over $15 000.

Any advices?

#7 ·
He agreed to buy the paint instead of giving me the money as a down payment.

So he gets to write off the material.

But he doesn't want to rent or give me money for scissors or areal lift.

Should not need one.

He says it is my job to rent it but he will pay that money back to me as soon as I return the equipment I just need to show him receipts.

So he gets to write off the rental, but is he paying you for the time you spent picking up and droping off?

That thing costs about $1500 for 1 week. He claims he had bad experience in the past with people whom he gave money in advance.

So you suffer because of his bad choices? Did he deal with a licensed contractor? Did he have a contract that covers his butt? Or is trying to take advantage of you and using his "bad experience" as cover?

I don't know if I can trust him. I fear he might not pay me or something because the whole deal would cost him over $15 000.

Myself and others have cautioned you to get a contract and have him sign it. If he is dealing with you in good faith, it should not be a problem. If he refuses, you should walk.

You are computer litterate enough to type on this forum, make up your own contract or download a template from microsoft.com. If you need help, I am sure somebody here could come up with a bare bones agreement of some sort.

Any advices?

COVER YOU A$$! GET IT IN WRITING! Spell out exactly what you intend to do, the materials, method of application, services you intend to deliver at the price you intend to charge. Then have him sign it. If he is a professional builder of any repute, he has seen and signed such contracts before.

#8 ·
He agreed to buy the paint instead of giving me the money as a down payment.

So he gets to write off the material.

But he doesn't want to rent or give me money for scissors or areal lift.

Should not need one.

He says it is my job to rent it but he will pay that money back to me as soon as I return the equipment I just need to show him receipts.

So he gets to write off the rental, but is he paying you for the time you spent picking up and droping off?

That thing costs about $1500 for 1 week. He claims he had bad experience in the past with people whom he gave money in advance.

So you suffer because of his bad choices? Did he deal with a licensed contractor? Did he have a contract that covers his butt? Or is trying to take advantage of you and using his "bad experience" as cover?

Myself and others have cautioned you to get a contract and have him sign it. If he is dealing with you in good faith, it should not be a problem. If he refuses, you should walk.

You are computer litterate enough to type on this forum, make up your own contract or download a template from microsoft.com. If you need help, I am sure somebody here could come up with a bare bones agreement of some sort.

Any advices?

COVER YOU A$$! GET IT IN WRITING! Spell out exactly what you intend to do, the materials, method of application, services you intend to deliver at the price you intend to charge. Then have him sign it. If he is a professional builder of any repute, he has seen and signed such contracts before.
Yep what he said. :thumbup:

For a 20' building I wouldn't rent a lift. It would be cheaper to just buy ladders & picks, or scaffolding, or both, and save alot of money but have them for future use also.

#9 ·
Thanx all for replies. Of course I am going to have him sign a contract, I even e-mailed him one I made so he can go through it and he told me we need to change some things such as titles etc.

He is appearently willing to pay in full within 3 days of job completion. Thats what I put into the contract agreement.

But I don't know if I can use ladder because there is lots of metal near the top that needs spraying. The metal is about 6 feet high and about 100 feet long. And it is not flat so rolling or brashing it is out of question.

#10 ·
Think about it

I get the impression that you really want to do the job because you like the sound of the money, (like we all do). Don't get caught chasing the scent of money while ignoring your gut instinct and the fact that this guy is taking advantage of you. Absolutely get a payment schedule that includes 1/3 for materials and some labor to start. I always set up my schedules so that I'm "ahead of the money". A good contract protects him and you. Don't make any exceptions, he wouldn't expect to wait until the house was built to get paid by his custmer, would he? Just my two cents. 1880Upstate

#13 ·
Exactly. The problem is that many builders prey on contractors with a greater need for the work. I've never made a bad deal with my schedule over booked. I have never met a builder that is 100% honest. He is trying to make a buck and will cut your throat to do so.

I have a builder that calls me ever month or so to price jobs. The conversation always starts out the same "Are you busy?". When I tell him that business is great he starts groaning. I'll price his job and he'll whine about my price and will try to get me down. I havent done a job for this guy in over a year but will still take his calls and price his jobs because when he needs a quality job done ....he pays for it.

#15 ·
These 2 buildings that I want to paint are his own. He rents out bunch of stores in them. I am not thinking about the money right now, I am thinking about doing a good job. But of course I gave him my price and he has agreed.

He told me he has been screwed by painters, tapers, texturers and drywallers before. He says he gave them money in advance and never found them again or had other problems. He will buy the paint and deliver it to the buildings.

Maybe he wants me to rent the scissors lift as assurance I'm a serious about the job. Once again he promised to pay for it as soon as I return it and provide receipt. (he will sign it too) Btw I need this equipment for metal only which I would do first and the walls I would do later.

There is no time limit and he wants it done this year so I can do it when ever I like.

#16 ·
He told me he has been screwed by painters, tapers, texturers and drywallers before. He says he gave them money in advance and never found them again or had other problems. He will buy the paint and deliver it to the buildings.

Boo hoo...there are many more cautionary tales about the painter that got screwed by the GC than vice versa. You need to tell him that you are not going to pay for the sins of the bad guys. Your challenge is to demonstrate to him that you are one of the good guys. To me, his behavior seems to be that of a GC on the ropes.

Maybe he wants me to rent the scissors lift as assurance I'm a serious about the job.

Again, you should be putting just as much pressure on him to prove that he is worthy of your energy as vice versa.

#17 ·
You should tell him stories about GC's not paying their sub's.

Don't be too eager to come to his defence when he hasn't payed you a dime yet. You are doing exactly what he wants you to do.......feel sympathy for him. Whats the point of bidding the job if he is providing the materials and eventually paying for the lift. He should not even know what percentage of your estimate is materials or equipment. Why not just work for him by the hour, get paid weekly and avoid future headaches.

#18 ·
I agree with this too. Come up with the Time per hour, and let him know when you need the lift delivered or other equipment. Let him deal with the rental delivery and pick-up directly. Most of these companies will deliver and pick up at the sight. Determine the brand of paint he wants, is it what will work on the surfaces in a quality way.

Do not take this job as a lost leader to get other work from him like the interiors of the stores.

#22 ·
I already told him by phone that I will get the lift. But I will use it only for higher metal and will get scaffoldings for lower one. That way I will "invest" less money. Maybe around $600.

But for him not having the credit for lift shouldn't be a problem even if so. After he signs the paper what can he do? They are a family run builders and own a number of buildings.

But I am still puzzled and really don't know what to do. He doesn't wants to give me any money because he doesn't trust me, and I am scared to go ahead this way because of the same reason.

Maybe I should tell him he has to prepay for the lift or no deal, but then he will think I have no money.

#23 ·
Florin, everytime I read this I get that little bit of acid that shoots into your stomach when you know something is fishy.

He wants you to assume all the risk. RED FLAG
He doesn't trust you. BIGGER RED FLAG

Every time we perform work for someone we assume some risk of not getting paid in full. Its a part of the business. How are you presenting yourself that he assumes you are one of the fly-by-nights that will screw him over?

I have found in life that those that scream loudest about foul play are usually the ones that are dishonest themselves. I think this guy is looking to rake you over the coals. Its more of a feeling than anything but I would walk from this deal. Contracts don't mean **** if a guy doesn't have assets to secure the terms. You end up suing someone for a breech of non-payment and if they are broke you win in court and still don't get paid.

Florin, if this guy doesn't trust you now do you think that he will all of a sudden start respecting and trusting you once work begins? He will nitpick you on details and more of a chance than not, screw you on payment because he will say you did not live up to your end of the bargain. AS it begins, so it shall be. This may be a harsh statement but it is what it is. Most contractors are wannabe business people working on the fringe of chaos and no working capital. I don't do extensive work for any builders or GC's unless they have a proven track record with paying others on time. And I make the terms lean in MY favor or they can find someone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.