Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
isnt sico a ppg brand? Now available in lowes too?
Yes, SICO is a PPG owned brand, they bought SICO a few years back. What I am really wonder is how to clean the danged roller sleeves and brushes. The stuff is a real brush and roller sleeve destroyer. It's really heavy on polymers and what ever kind of soap I use just reacts badly and causing the stuff to get all sticky. Worse if you just plunge the brushes for a quick rince and leave them in water, you come back to find the stuff sets even in water!! I've trashed two good brushes and 2 good microfiber roller sleeves. I'm starting to get really PO. Worse, they start to get wrecked even as one has them in constant use. I've tried washing them in water ever hour or so but that's not helping! I've never seen paint that was so difficult to use. It is promoted as being super tough if one can ever finish applying it. It does have a good finished look, though.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:D 2 brushes & 2 roller sleeves later I found Clean up with denatured alcohol Works / Plain water DOSE NOT! Otherwise, what they say about the product, all seems to be true. An honest, self priming paint that looks good too! It is a really low sheen for an "Eggshell" finish. I like the finished look and love the idea of priming as I paint. Who wouldn't love a two coat job! BONUS, it seems splatter resistant, rolling caused zero splatter.
Website Says:
"An easy-to-apply, ultra-washable and high hiding paint. You'll notice the difference from the very first coat! As a paint and primer in one, it can even be applied to bare drywall without a primer, saving you time and money! Available at LOWE'S, RONA, KENT, RENO DEPOT
  • DurabiliT™ technology with polymers
  • Ultra-washable
  • High hiding
  • Water Clean up (WRONG!!!)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used it about 5 years ago and was actually impressed considering the price point. Can't remember the cleanup being so difficult though. Weird. what about adding some tsp to your water for cleaning?
Maybe they changed the formulation. About 20 years ago I used a SICO water base and found it was just OK, nothing special and no tool cleaning issues, either. I tried sunlight bar soap, laundry detergent, shampoo, dish soap, Dr. Bronner's pure Castile soap (Which generally will clean stuff nothing else will touch), TSP wouldn't help! That would be like trying to clean shellac with TSP. I tried everything prior to denatured alcohol. It is absolutely the only thing that works to clean brushes. Wiping up a drop poses on issues with a wet rag. The roller tray I use for my mini rollers washes up fine IF I do it promptly. Once the stuff sets steel wool won't scrub it off. I do trust them on the priming qualities! Nothing will move this stuff once it has had a day to start curing. I did go out and stock up on denatured alcohol this evening. I don't want to trash anymore brushes. Anyway, this Evolution is impressing the heck out of me. It's not all that cheap at $55 a gallon. (I wonder if it was the Evolution you used 5 years ago?) The only way I came to be buying at RONA was all my Indy shops were having supply problems. I could not get 26 gallons of anything half decent from them, and two weeks to hope an order comes in, or run all over the place to put the order together piece meal. Ah, well, I decided to go to RONA where they tend to over rather than under stock. 26 gallons of the same paint, "No problem". Pandemic, fun times; it's going to kill a few independent paint supply houses.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,046 Posts
So weird eh. I'm not surprised. Some of the things they can do with paint now, who knows what's in there! DA would definitely do the trick though. $55/gal is pretty good considering Aura is now $100/Gal retail.!.But yes very hard to get certain things over here now also. BIN has also been an issue to get. Thankfully they are keeping Advance well stocked for me.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So weird eh. I'm not surprised. Some of the things they can do with paint now, who knows what's in there! DA would definitely do the trick though. $55/gal is pretty good considering Aura is now $100/Gal retail.!.But yes very hard to get certain things over here now also. BIN has also been an issue to get. Thankfully they are keeping Advance well stocked for me
Cripes!! $100 a gallon and I don't even like the stuff. I prefer Manor Hall and last I bought it, it was $65, I think. I am rapidly becoming a fan of this SICO Evolution, though. It is a dream to work with and has a lovely finish. It may become my go to. (BUT with cheaper roller sleeves if I can not figure out how to wash them clean!)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I wonder is if it's actually an alcohol based formula (like Muralo Ultra used to/seemed to be?) It would sorta make sense, as due to Corona alcohol supplies had to go way up past normal, then demand went lower for alcohol but production capacity is up, while traditional paint resins (which are glycol based?) are all messed up due to production plant closures/etc.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK, 14 days working with this stuff. Finished the job yesterday. 3 brushes destroyed, 3 roller sleeves destroyed. DA fails to be an effective cleaner; once the brush drys out, it's still pretty much wrecked. One would need to thoroughly clean the bush with water and spin it out twice every couple of hours. (Ain't none of us going to do that!) Still, I LOVE the paint. Coverage is incredible at 590 sq ft per gallon over previously painted surfaces. (I failed to read the data before purchase and bought it with 400 sq ft per gallon in mind. I don't, even, always get the full 400 sq ft!) I have a lot of left overs!! Now I know. 2 coats looked like 3 of any other paint I have used. In the end, I'm sold on the stuff and would not hesitate to use it again. It would save me the cost of primer and 2 full coats looks phenomenal. If one gets lucky and there is a big box sale on, one might even get it at half price. If I use it again, I'll use cheaper brushes and sleeves and just trash them. Otherwise, I'm good with the stuff!

Advantages:
• DurabiliT technology with polymers.
• Matte finish when viewed straight on and soft lustre finish when viewed at a grazing angle.
• Ideal for ceilings and walls that are not subjected to frequent cleaning. (IE: Bathrooms & Kitchens want a glossier finish)
• Easy to apply.
• Dries quickly and has very little odour.
• Great hiding power.
• Higher resistance to scrubbing.
• Water-based product which allows tool clean-up with water.(FYI: trays and roller cages yes / brushes and sleeves NO!)
• Product formulated without VOCs before the addition of colourant; surpasses
Canadian Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Concentration Limits for Architectural
Coatings Regulations requirements.

Interior only.
Residential and commercial sites.
New surfaces: drywall boards, hardened and dry drywall compound, new dry
plaster, concrete, brick, stucco or other masonry.
Surfaces in good condition previously painted with a water-based product and
properly prepared.

Notes
Do not apply directly over steel, iron or other metals.
Not formulated to be used on floors.
Some colours, or drastic colour changes, may require an additional coat of paint.
Do not mix with other paints or thinners.

Technical Specifications (21°C (70°F))
Opaque
Gloss Level / Eggshell finish
• Gloss at 60°: 5 to 10%
• Gloss at 85°: 10 to 20% Composition
• Diluent: Water
• Binder: Reinforced acrylic polymer emulsion
Drying Time
• Touch dry: 30 minutes
• Before recoating: 4 to 6 hours
• Full curing: 14 days
If relative humidity is higher than 50%, required
time must be doubled.
Spreading Rate per Coat
• As primer or on porous surfaces:
45 to 50 m2 (450 to 540 ft2) for 3.78 L;
• As topcoat finish:
49 to 55 m2 (520 to 590 ft2) for 3.78 L.
(Excluding losses caused by variations in application
methods or surface porosity)
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)*
According to ASTM D3960-05: "0"* g/L
* No emission is detectable by the United States
Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Test
Method 24. Formulated without Volatile Organic Compounds
Minimal Film Thickness (According to the maximum spreading rate)
• Wet: 2.8 mils (71 μm)
• Dry: 1.1 mils (28 μm)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I wonder if its an acrylic/alkyd. would explain it not cleaning very well.
Well, what ever that beast is, it is a wonder. It reminds me of "Timless" that they no longer sell here. Apparently Canadian painters thought it too expensive and PPG stopped offering it here. A couple of Years ago I bought all the remaining stock I could find but have long since used it all up. That was another great product. I never understood painter's reluctance to buy it. It was not that expensive and given that you could forgo the primer, it was a real money saver and DURABLE!! The best I can figure is many painters are penny wise and pound foolish! As I understand it, these real primer-paints are a whole new class of formulation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I once used that paint. I didn't like it. I was the worst experience. It's too thin and runny. And I think it's not worth the price.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I once used that paint. I didn't like it. I was the worst experience. It's too thin and runny. And I think it's not worth the price.
You hated "Timeless"? I loved it! The exteriors I used it in are still looking great ten years later. The stuff performed as promised. I always thought it was a deal on the price because I did not need to buy primer and that meant I only had to paint a structure twice, the first and second coat. However, we all have our preferred paints and for our own reasons. I know of painters that will only use "Pro" or "Contractors" paint. I would never touch that stuff, myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You hated "Timeless"? I loved it! The exteriors I used it in are still looking great ten years later. The stuff performed as promised. I always thought it was a deal on the price because I did not need to buy primer and that meant I only had to paint a structure twice, the first and second coat. However, we all have our preferred paints and for our own reasons. I know of painters that will only use "Pro" or "Contractors" paint. I would never touch that stuff, myself.
Actually yes. Not really "hated", but didn't like. That was the first and only time I used it. I didn't like the process of application. I couldn't manage with it. Maybe, the lack of experience at that time also played some role.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts