Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently redoing a bathroom that had some minor water damage and peeling paint. The drywall was not in great shape and had peeling brown paper which I prepped by removing all the old paint, removing areas of water damaged drywall, treating for mildew, applying mildew-blocking primer spray in those areas, getting rid of as much torn paper as possible and applying Gardz problem surface sealer. Afterward, I applied two coats of joint compound skim coating the walls and re-taping the drywall joints and corner seams.

The walls look a lot better now and I planned to do another coat of the Gardz before priming. However, when I got ready to do so today, I noticed that, in several spots, there are very faint hairline cracks and eggshell cracking in some areas of the skim coating. Not sure if it dried too fast and that caused it to shrink or maybe I watered it down a bit too much when mixing it? I allowed the mud to dry several days in between coats/sanding.

My question is, well these hairline cracks get worse and cause problems even after applying the Gardz sealer and primer? I tried applying another thin skim coat on top of them but the cracks are still visible after re-sanding so not sure if I used enough or what. Sorry if the answer to this is really obvious, but I am new to this type of wall repair. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Gardz is a primer. You can topcoat on it, unless you're priming for extra 'build'

As far as cracking... Ive only seen mud do that if its too thick of coat. ASAIC, whats done is done. I dont see how it will it any worse. Prime it and see what it looks like. Patch if needed.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,320 Posts
I've also seen this when the mud dries too fast. AKA super dry/hot. Or the primer was not finished drying. Dig out the cracks with your 5in1 and patch as required..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts