Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all the various techniques I believe the general consensus is spraying leaves a smoother finish over brushing or rolling cabinets. We just had everything installed but it's unfinished and the rest is up to us. We spoke to a paint contractor who suggested lacquer paint for a superior finish but after we received the estimate I was quite shocked and wanted to ask around before we committed to anything.

We also had our fireplace wrapped in a herringbone type pattern with mdf and was curious if this needs to be painted differently than the wood built-ins?

What method and paint type would give us a professional grade finish that's smooth with no marks left behind?

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Of all the various techniques I believe the general consensus is spraying leaves a smoother finish over brushing or rolling cabinets. We just had everything installed but it's unfinished and the rest is up to us. We spoke to a paint contractor who suggested lacquer paint for a superior finish but after we received the estimate I was quite shocked and wanted to ask around before we committed to anything.

We also had our fireplace wrapped in a herringbone type pattern with mdf and was curious if this needs to be painted differently than the wood built-ins?

What method and paint type would give us a professional grade finish that's smooth with no marks left behind?
Painting Contractors tend to charge based on their experience, skill level, and for quality results: so that it doesn't look like it was painted by the homeowner.

Laquer will give you glass-like finish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Painting Contractors tend to charge based on their experience, skill level, and for quality results: so that it doesn't look like it was painted by the homeowner.

(cough)

With that said, you might consider using something like Pro Classic Semi-Gloss or Emerald Satin (or Semi-Gloss).
Roll with a 3/8" Microfiber mini roller.
I sell real estate so I'm in homes all the time and have seen the work of some of these "professionals". Unfortunately, quality today and attention to detail is something that lacks more and more.

I honestly don't mind doing most of the work but we have 12 ft ceilings and just have them coffered. The contractor gave us a price on that as well but it seemed super high.

I may contact someone else for a second opinion to compare apples to apples.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
The general rule of thumb is that the average cost for finishing a cabinet is 33% of the total cabinet cost, but can sometimes exceed 50% based on the complexity of the finishes.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I sell real estate so I'm in homes all the time and have seen the work of some of these "professionals". Unfortunately, quality today and attention to detail is something that lacks more and more.
You're on a forum that requires you to be a professional painter to even register, and you spout nonsense like that? I don't think you're going to find much help, here.

·
Administrator
19,799 Posts
PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com. If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register.

This thread is now closed.

Reactions: cocomonkeynuts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.