Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PREMISE: I've been prepping a wall in my own home (if anyone sends me to DIYChatroom.com there will be hell to pay ;) :whistling2: :jester: ) for a test wall for hanging and stripping stuff.

As most of us have, I've gotten pretty damn good with JC application being able to get it AWFULLY smooth while wet, but alas, there maybe a few ridges from the trowel edge.

Usually, to be dust free, I can blade these off with my razor sharp 6" mud knife, but today not so perfect.

Here's what I discovered and want to know if this is a "DUH, Bill" or something not so common.

I damp ragged it (common practice) but then before it dried, troweled with that 6" broad knife (pulling it so no blade would dig in). Came out REALLY smooth.

Obviously on larger areas, sanding and vacuuming is better/quicker, but on those small repairs where dust free is important . . . .

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats, you just "wet sanded". It's fun to make neat little discoveries aint it?
I thought "wet sanded" was just using the wet rag/block/carpet/whatever which I have done many times. Never involved a smoothing tool after, kinda like what finish plasters do when with a trowel and water.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I love paper hangers. They are always trying to prove themselves.

Bill,

Hanging paper is way more difficult than painting. You don't have to impress me. You are way more skilled than any painter.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I love paper hangers. They are always trying to prove themselves.

Bill,

Hanging paper is way more difficult than painting. You don't have to impress me. You are way more skilled than any painter.
You could just "thank" me to show sarcasm, insincerity, and P-A.

But to actually address your comment directly, not here to impress, no money in it. Been in the business and on this planet long enough to know where my skills lay and not be obsessed with the frailties of others.

I see that this little application of a trowel after wet sanding is not an epiphany to everyone. Should I now apologize for sharing what may have been helpful to others?

·
Time Traveler
1,624 Posts
I love painters, they're always self-deprecating.

:cowboy:

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love painters, they're always self-deprecating.

UD,

I think his comment was a typo. I think he meant to say that paperhangers are always trying to IMprove themselves.

which, as you know, we are. There is always something to learn from others.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You could just "thank" me to show sarcasm, insincerity, and P-A.

But to actually address your comment directly, not here to impress, no money in it. Been in the business and on this planet long enough to know where my skills lay and not be obsessed with the frailties of others.

I see that this little application of a trowel after wet sanding is not an epiphany to everyone. Should I now apologize for sharing what may have been helpful to others?
Sarcastic? Yes.

Insincere? No. I worked for a paper hanger. I could never do that. I'm a painter through and through.

Passive Aggressive? No. While I can be, I wasn't trying to be here. I was just trying to have a little fun with you. I apologize for offending you.

·
Time Traveler
1,624 Posts
Sarcastic? Yes.

Insincere? No. I worked for a paper hanger. I could never do that. I'm a painter through and through.

Passive Aggressive? No. While I can be, I wasn't trying to be here. I was just trying to have a little fun with you. I apologize for offending you.
I caught the humor, I was joining in the fun. If you talk to my younger son, he can vouch for me.
I love irony and sarcasm and satire. My problem is that with text people can't always tell. That's why the emoticons were invented. We lack body language to decipher meaning. I usually don't use them out of principle.

The brain is a remarkable thing. :no:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sarcastic? Yes.

Eric,

Well you know what they say about sarcasm - and I was a bit taken aback by yours. After we cleared the air, I thought we were beyond the "lowest form of wit". Apologies if I misconstrued the rest of your reply to be of the same vein. As Underdog noted, this is one of the dangers of the written word, especially with no emoticons to signify differently.

Glad to hear you have not gone over to the dark side, we have enough milquetoast P-A's as it is.

peace

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Eric,

Well you know what they say about sarcasm - and I was a bit taken aback by yours. After we cleared the air, I thought we were beyond the "lowest form of wit". Apologies if I misconstrued the rest of your reply to be of the same vein. As Underdog noted, this is one of the dangers of the written word, especially with no emoticons to signify differently.

Glad to hear you have not gone over to the dark side, we have enough milquetoast P-A's as it is.

peace
So, we're good?

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm surprised you are actually doing this. Michael Jordan had nothing left to prove the last year he played.
Did he EVER have anything to prove? and yet he still sells underwear :whistling2: ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts