Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody use or install solid epoxy floor coatings, using metallics and different color combinations.
If so what brand of epoxy and where do you get it from?
I am looking for a reputable company to supply me for a mid size project
Any suggestions or info appreciated

· Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,815 Posts
Does anybody use or install solid epoxy floor coatings, using metallics and different color combinations.
If so what brand of epoxy and where do you get it from?
I am looking for a reputable company to supply me for a mid size project
Any suggestions or info appreciated
Have you done epoxy flooring before? Just in case you have not:

· Registered
78 Posts
Rust-Oleum now owns Seal Krete, of which they offer Epoxy Shell 1000. It's available in clear (for using metallics) and a few factory colors. For people just starting out or for a small crew, I recommend the EPL version (Extended Pot Life) which has about an hour open time. Like most epoxies, it will yellow so the top coat they have a waterborne Urethane or Poly Shell 7000 which is a polyaspartic. Since Rust-Oleum is everywhere, it's is easy to get.

· Registered
697 Posts
One thing I wonder about epoxy floor coatings is floor prep. Do people use a product like Ardex Feather Finish or a SLC (Self Leveling Cement) over floors that otherwise aren't smooth?

This is the Ardex Feather Finish.

This is SLC.

What about floor grinding/scarifying/sanding, etc?

I'm wondering basically, do you need to approach epoxy sort of similar to how a proper glue down vinyl floor install is done?

· Registered
36 Posts
I wouldn't use a cementitious topping on a garage or other heavily-loaded application, regardless.
I do recall I checked into this exact question a few years ago and...that's where it gets fuzzy... I 'WANT to say' that Mike from Stone Coat warned against going over toppings until they'd unquestionably cured to the point where the MC was very low. Much better to buy gobs of epoxy (yeah, I know, what else is he gonna say?) and be sure it's all going to bond perfectly to an old, clean, dry, profiled substrate.

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
One thing I wonder about epoxy floor coatings is floor prep. Do people use a product like Ardex Feather Finish or a SLC (Self Leveling Cement) over floors that otherwise aren't smooth?

Ardex feather coat - YouTube
This is the Ardex Feather Finish.

How to Install LevelQuik RS Self-Leveling Underlayment - YouTube
This is SLC.

Subfloor preperation demo - YouTube
What about floor grinding/scarifying/sanding, etc?

I'm wondering basically, do you need to approach epoxy sort of similar to how a proper glue down vinyl floor install is done?
I haven't done much in the way of Epoxy Flooring, but will be doing one this summer- so I will be watching this thread closely.

I believe the concrete surface needs to be Acid Washed (like my Levi's).
Use Muriatic Acid diluted with water to clean and etch the surface from sealers and contaminants. It's pretty simple, a mop, bucket, water and muriatic acid (goggles, respirator, gloves, etc...). Let sit, then rinse.

It is important to rinse the muriatic afterwards as it can/will affect adhesion.

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Really would like to epoxy my garage floor, Does anyone have any recommendations on certain products/kits? I have watched a few youtube videos, but any pointers would be appreciated.

Seems like a nice little weekend project!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts