Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A family member used Olympic Maximum on their deck and would now like to go from semi trans to solid.
The semi is starting to peel slightly, it’s been on about 3 years.
any advice I can pass along?
Im not doing the job because it’s family, and a deck...
Does it need stripped? Sanded? Power wash and go?
Call Olympic and pick their customer service dept brains? ( last resort)

Thanks in advance
Rand

·
Super Moderator
6,614 Posts
Just treat it the same as a regular restain. Sand any loose stuff, pressure washing wouldn't hurt, make sure it's clean and free of debris, etc. Hit it with the solid.

I did my first deck in years last year. Certainly reminded me why I hate doing decks. Especially when customer moves all their patio furniture, bbq back every night after I leave.

·
Registered
722 Posts
i just did a deck and it was a breeze. im an interior guy so it was nice just slopping it on so to speak granted the client cleaned it for me, same color which helps a ton and they wernt picky. i could see re doing decks getting old but rolling any type of flooring seems easy and the square footage one can get done seems lucrative.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do way too many decks, and always feel it will never live up to expectations. Tell people up front, 2 years horizontal, 4 years vertical, best case scenario, and there isn’t a magic stain that holdsup better. I’m more looking for the opinion of solid over semi trans, and what is the best approach to prep. I guess after 3 years, the semi trans should be weathered enough to just sand any peeling, and wash with TSP as recommended above. So, do it like I normally would...lol
Hope everyone’s season is off to a good start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been painting for 40 years. I would rather have a colonoscopy than do decks. People are constantly disappointed with how long it lasts.
I haven't found a deck product worth a damn. It is no win from my perspective.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,786 Posts
A semi isn't really suppose to peel. Usually they just fade. Are you sure it was a semi? Either way, Wash, sand, Paint with solid stain. I would't over think it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts