Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold a guy a 5gal of sherwin Williams DTM alkyd enamel. He showed back up 3 days later saying his painter said it was bad. I mixed it up very good before I sold it. He shows up with a bucket that looks like gray rubbery goop. Any ideas what this could be? Its definitely not what I mixed up
Bedrock Trunk Monochrome photography Pattern Soil
Font Liquid Material property Gas Paint

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
There are others who contribute to this site that will be able to answer much better than I. But not with the info you've given.

For starters no one here knows anything about you. Are you a GM of an SW store? Or an employee at one? Or just a painter with an old can of X and sold it on craigslist or something? Or just an amateur/homeowner who maybe got stuck with an unused purchase? Or you go to storage unit auctions and got this can of paint from that? Or what? We don't know. Go here and tell people who you are and what your painting industry role & background are: New Member Introductions

Then you'll need to say more about the sale. All we've got it that you "mixed it up good." ??? Have no idea what that means. Did you need to tint it and then it went on a mechanical shaker? (In this case the lid would have been off and you'd be able to report on the condition of the contents when you tinted/sold it). Or did you just pick it up and do the old hula shake? Or what?

I've spent some time on car repair help websites too. What you posted is the equivalent of "my car is making a funny growling noise. What it is?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are others who contribute to this site that will be able to answer much better than I. But not with the info you've given.

For starters no one here knows anything about you. Are you a GM of an SW store? Or an employee at one? Or just a painter with an old can of X and sold it on craigslist or something? Or just an amateur/homeowner who maybe got stuck with an unused purchase? Or you go to storage unit auctions and got this can of paint from that? Or what? We don't know. Go here and tell people who you are and what your painting industry role & background are: New Member Introductions

Then you'll need to say more about the sale. All we've got it that you "mixed it up good." ??? Have no idea what that means. Did you need to tint it and then it went on a mechanical shaker? (In this case the lid would have been off and you'd be able to report on the condition of the contents when you tinted/sold it). Or did you just pick it up and do the old hula shake? Or what?

I've spent some time on car repair help websites too. What you posted is the equivalent of "my car is making a funny growling noise. What it is?"
I

·
17,880 Posts
Sold a guy a 5gal of sherwin Williams DTM alkyd enamel. He showed back up 3 days later saying his painter said it was bad. I mixed it up very good before I sold it. He shows up with a bucket that looks like gray rubbery goop. Any ideas what this could be? Its definitely not what I mixed up View attachment 113812 View attachment 113813
If you are a SW employee and someone brought that back from a a purchase from 3 days ago they are probably just working an angle to turn the never ending price increases back on you through a BOGO.

If it's some other thing where you are dabbling in second hand product sales then the phrase buyer beware is accurate for both you and anyone purchasing from you.

I'm no expert but as to what it looks like, it looks like it's been exposed to long-term air, or a contaminate/additive to speed up the drying process for disposal.

If you are in retail I'd imagine the best thing is to eat a 5 of DTM and keep an out for another issue of this nature especially with the same customer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your input. I sold a perfectly good 5 gallon on the dtm paint that was shown in the picture. I stirred it with my dewalt drill with a mixing paddle. The paint was already tinted from another job that I did. I had one left over and sold it.the paint was white and I made a white sample mark on the can. The guy bought it and came back to me with the can and said his painter said it was no good. When I opened the can I saw a rubbery looking goop in it. The stuff in the can is not what was in it when I sold it. I was curious as to what the guy could have put in the bucket to try to return it. The stuff in the bucket isn't even white paint like the sample I made on the outside of the can. I'm just curious. Thank you and I will make sure to give more info for further consideration. Have a blessed day

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if it thinned/mixed with something waterbased, by OP or painter…
What did you use to color it to make it grey? did you open can after mixing?
The color was white when I sold it. The paint was ready to go when I sold it . I had a 5gallon left over. The guy showed back up with this gray stuffing the bucket. I think they used the correct stuff that was in it and tried returning it to me and hope I didnt open it to look at what was in it. Thank you

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You still haven't introduced yourself. But it sounds like you're maybe a painting contractor who sold some surplus/leftover paint. There are no rules there, so you're just on your own. Once again, a new member intro is helpful since no on knows anything about you.

If you are just a contractor who sold a surplus 5 gal and opened it up and stirred it with your paddle mixer on a drill and sold it second-hand - which is what it sounds like - then hopefully you just said something like "sorry, but I don't know what you or your painter did to a perfectly good 5 to wreck it." Not sure what other kind of answer you want or what you want anyone to say about it.

Given the little you've said, I'd go along with the hardener additive interpretation.

Have a blessed day.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
That product is 10-20 years old!! Pure white has not been a base forever. The batch number WN2330, WN is the mfg facility 2 is the year, so 2012 or most likely 2002, 330 is the day of the year. Sounds like someone is hustling you. But you can easily check the sku against what you sold him.
They do have a color called Pure White. Could it be a stock 'pure white?' Couldnt the 2 mean 2022?

Anyway, it looks like they dumped some crap in there to hustle you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you sold him White paint and this is what was returned to you, he's scamming you.... No other way to think about it. I run a Landscape Supply Store and I've seen people try to pull weird things on me. Luckily, I can spot the B.S. from a mile away and I call them out on it. If it's legit, I will refund the money or give them a replacement product. If it's B.S. they get nothing.

For the record, I was in the painting industry for 16 years full time but have been in the "Green" industry for the past 21 years so I've had two careers.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use kitty litter to soak up left over unusable solvents for disposal and that is what it looks like. If you sold it as a liquid and it came back to you like that dude has some nerve pulling that.
I once returned some paint to Home Depot and they had to open up the can to check it’s contents and said someone was filling paint cans with water for a refund.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree you are probably being scammed. In any case, it is buyer beware, so the guy purchasing the product should have checked it to make sure you weren't scamming him. If he walked away and both of you thought the product was good, deal is done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts