Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold a guy a 5gal of sherwin Williams DTM alkyd enamel. He showed back up 3 days later saying his painter said it was bad. I mixed it up very good before I sold it. He shows up with a bucket that looks like gray rubbery goop. Any ideas what this could be? Its definitely not what I mixed up
Bedrock Trunk Monochrome photography Pattern Soil
Font Liquid Material property Gas Paint

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are others who contribute to this site that will be able to answer much better than I. But not with the info you've given.

For starters no one here knows anything about you. Are you a GM of an SW store? Or an employee at one? Or just a painter with an old can of X and sold it on craigslist or something? Or just an amateur/homeowner who maybe got stuck with an unused purchase? Or you go to storage unit auctions and got this can of paint from that? Or what? We don't know. Go here and tell people who you are and what your painting industry role & background are: New Member Introductions

Then you'll need to say more about the sale. All we've got it that you "mixed it up good." ??? Have no idea what that means. Did you need to tint it and then it went on a mechanical shaker? (In this case the lid would have been off and you'd be able to report on the condition of the contents when you tinted/sold it). Or did you just pick it up and do the old hula shake? Or what?

I've spent some time on car repair help websites too. What you posted is the equivalent of "my car is making a funny growling noise. What it is?"
I

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your input. I sold a perfectly good 5 gallon on the dtm paint that was shown in the picture. I stirred it with my dewalt drill with a mixing paddle. The paint was already tinted from another job that I did. I had one left over and sold it.the paint was white and I made a white sample mark on the can. The guy bought it and came back to me with the can and said his painter said it was no good. When I opened the can I saw a rubbery looking goop in it. The stuff in the can is not what was in it when I sold it. I was curious as to what the guy could have put in the bucket to try to return it. The stuff in the bucket isn't even white paint like the sample I made on the outside of the can. I'm just curious. Thank you and I will make sure to give more info for further consideration. Have a blessed day

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if it thinned/mixed with something waterbased, by OP or painter…
What did you use to color it to make it grey? did you open can after mixing?
The color was white when I sold it. The paint was ready to go when I sold it . I had a 5gallon left over. The guy showed back up with this gray stuffing the bucket. I think they used the correct stuff that was in it and tried returning it to me and hope I didnt open it to look at what was in it. Thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts