Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am spraying oil primer over a latex spot prime. The reason; as explained to me, is that the epoxy can only be primed with latex. This is causing problems with the oil primer drying, especially given the cold weather. My question is whether there's a better way? I am spraying windows that we are restoring and there are 90 of them. So anything that could help speed up the process would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
As far as I can imagine; these are historical window. We have to keep as much of the old wood as possible. But it is hairy, cracking, the amount of time being put into the stripping is crazy. We have only had to replace a couple of the rails. However, they are delicate and need to be protected. To me that means oil primer for longevity. But with this latex it's not really ideal. I emailed a.r.t. also bear in mind I am a contractor so I am not there when they decide to use certain materials. We are on #8 of 90, so I am just trying to come up with a better option before we get too deep.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
On that many windows and having some sort of historic mark to the house, it would seem that before bidding something like this you, the contractor, homeowner, etc would have made some samples and come up with a system that was effective and fit the budget. Its kind of bassackwards doing it this way.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
What is A.R.T.? Also what top coat are you using?

I'd second that it doesn't make sense to go over a latex primer with an oil primer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I am not that kind of contractor. I don't bid on jobs, again I am new, I just get called for spray work

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Long dry oil and a splash or so of lacquer thinner. Don't know what your temps are but the thinner will help it kick over. Then youre just gonna have to wait it out. Hope youre back brushing after going through all the effort to strip em.

Not ideal, but neither is painting them in the cold winter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
More information, please!

I am spraying oil primer over a latex spot prime. The reason; as explained to me, is that the epoxy can only be primed with latex. This is causing problems with the oil primer drying, especially given the cold weather. My question is whether there's a better way? I am spraying windows that we are restoring and there are 90 of them. So anything that could help speed up the process would be greatly appreciated.
KSMD, I don't know how many here are mind readers, but I know I am not one. I am also slower than most as far as trying to form an accurate picture in my mind about what people are posting about when they give sketchy info on what they are doing. This happens a lot here at paint Talk.

Could you please carefully describe what you are painting and what you are trying to accomplish? You might start with inside or outside work, then go on from there. One might infer from your reference to cold weather that you are painting exterior surfaces, but if you are painting window interiors that are considerably affected by cold weather, how would anyone know that this is the case?

futtyos

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
KSMD, I don't know how many here are mind readers, but I know I am not one. I am also slower than most as far as trying to form an accurate picture in my mind about what people are posting about when they give sketchy info on what they are doing. This happens a lot here at paint Talk.

Could you please carefully describe what you are painting and what you are trying to accomplish? You might start with inside or outside work, then go on from there. One might infer from your reference to cold weather that you are painting exterior surfaces, but if you are painting window interiors that are considerably affected by cold weather, how would anyone know that this is the case?

futtyos
I was going to recommend Windsor & Newton as an art paint.:vs_laugh:

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
I'm guessing it is Advanced Repair Technology. This stuff is the bomb. Easier to work with than Abitron's Wood Epox due to the longer drying time.

http://www.advancedrepair.com/architectural_epoxy_intro.html

We've used their Flex-Tec HV and had great results. This stuff is not cheap, however. S/W sells it us for just shy of $60 per double tube and the gun is upwards of $80.
So if SW sells a double tube for $60, and if their pricing structure for this is the same as their paints, i should be able to sell it for $20 a double tube and double my money! Maybe i should look into it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts