Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Property Manager
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody experienced pulsing when spraying with a Titan 440 Impact, using a 25' 1/4" hose and FF tips such as a 308, 310. Would prefer a shorter hose to deal with on the next project since room is tight but don't want to deal with pulsing @ the tip. Spraying the last 2 gals of Impervo Satin on the planet.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,438 Posts
Pulsation can happen with 25' of 1/4" hose on a 440i, but if you want the shortened hose without near the risk, get a 25' length of 3/16" hose to replace your 1/4" hose. I think that trick alone is the only reason the Graco GX19 has been able to have any measurable success, given the otherwise anemic & underwhelming parts it's made up of. (I actually tried to swap out the 3/16" on my GX19 for a 1/4" hose and began to experience the same pulsation you're referring to).

Maybe @cocomonkeynuts will have better insights, since I know he's dissected many more than I have.

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
I'm so glad you chose that over the GX19. I can't believe I still don't have one of those ED655's, despite recommending it countless times. Hope you're having fun with it.
Appreciate the advice. It is a good fit for what I do. still learning how to use and clean it (different than traditional piston sprayer). Have a few jobs lined up for winter where I can try it out some more.

It's a great tax write-off. (y)

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Long, large diameter hoses with a large manifold filter act sort of like a capacitor for fluid flow and smooth out the fluctuations in pressure. Piston technology inherently will have pulsing especially with short hose and no filter manifold to hold material.

If you want to use short small diameter hose then diaphram pumps are the way to go, eg titan ed655. No pulsing with this pump design. Tritech's electronics can sense fluid flow at the tip and adjust the motor speed to match to minimize pulsing but I would bet its less efficient if you were to plug the filter manifold to reduce material usage.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I use a 440i frequently for small jobs and garage doors. I don't have any sort of pulsation coming from my unit. See graco handhelds for pulsation nightmares.

·
Registered
Property Manager
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Knobbe is using a 25’ hose on his 440.
I should clarify...
I'm not currently running 25'. Normally use 50'. I am considering 25' due to space limits and was wondering if anybody has done that successfully with a 440 Impact or if I'm asking for trouble.
Sorry for the muddy question.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I should clarify...
I'm not currently running 25'. Normally use 50'. I am considering 25' due to space limits and was wondering if anybody has done that successfully with a 440 Impact or if I'm asking for trouble.
Sorry for the muddy question.
Its on a spectrum, shorter hose, smaller hose, no fluid manifold = more pulsing. Diaphram pumps have no pulsing by design

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
I called Titan Tech, because I was curious about this.
They said thinner materials may have better luck spraying with a shorter hose, but the hose is generally what keeps it from pulsating overall; Shortening the length (even when widening the diameter) will make it more likely to have issues with pulsing.

*They did specifically mention the ed655 (without prompting) as a sprayer that can be used with shorter hoses.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Why would someone pay money for that, rather than just leaving the filter out? Ive worked for production companies that dont put any filters in their pumps or guns cuz they know they wont get cleaned right. I get not wanting the filter. I dotn understand swapping the part out. Is it just to make it easier to clean? In our filterless pumps, we would still unscrew the manifold and wash it out a little.

Either way, my point was that 440s come with manifold filters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts