Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Spraying again tomorrow

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  robladd 
#1 ·
How do you leave your sprayer (Graco 490 in this case) at the end of the day if your spraying again tomorrow (could be same paint or a change)? Do you leave paint in it, flush and leave dry, flush and leave (soap) water, or go all the way to pump armour each day?

#4 ·
I do the same except I leave just a tad bit of pressure. Not much at all, leave the gun in a bucket of water. I would get to stressed thinking the line will bust or something. Even though it's unplugged, half pressure can put some serious paint on chit.

Pat

#5 ·
WB I will put a water cap of a about a 1/4" on top if the paint and cover it with tape and plastic. Then put the gun in a 1 gallon can if soapy water.

OB I will use thinner in the same manner for the bucket of paint. For the gun I like to take a 1 gallon can and cut the lid for my hose whip to fit through. Now just enough solvent in the can for the nozzle to bathe in.

No Pressure on the pump, but the piston at the bottom of the stroke.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I don't know what is best yet, thats why I asked. I don't need any new "hard" lesson this year. Just wanted to figure out if water will corrode or paint will harden in a day or two. Sounds like either can work and dry or pump armour is not required or recommended. I guess if a paint soaked roller cover can last a month in plastic, paint in the sprayer for 1-2 days is not a problem. How soon will corrosion start if water or soapy water is left in the system?

#9 ·
I have left my Graco President 28:1 in Dunn Edwards Evr Shield up to 4 weeks at a time.

This was during the 94' earthquake in LA. Worked almost 240 days straight that year.

MILES of Stucco repair. My crew would patch for weeks at a time, then spray hundreds of gallons of paint.

It was due to all the after shocks, up to 1500 a day. After you have patched the same wall 6 and 7 times you only want to spot prime and paint once.

So Cal Painters know earth quakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.