Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey- I have been painting cabinets for a pretty good while but today I ran into a problem. I had deglossed with scuff sanding and one of those liquid sandpaper products and sprayed on some Zinnsner 1-2-3- Bullseye PremiumLatex and then after it had dried over night, sanded it and sprayed on some SW ProClassic Latex with the airless tip above. Now I will say this, I have used that hose and gun a long time and although I change gun filters a lot I am not sure when I changed this one and I didn't strain the paint. It was a little windy and I sprayed outside. There are no trees for well over 300 ft away and most were downwind. What I saw was a wonderful smooth finish but it has some tiny tiny little bumps and specks and even some little tiny long, I mean small ridges mostly going one way but not always--. Tomorrow I plan to strain the paint, get a new filter, the tip is brand new---the stuff I am seeing is pretty small but the customer is way beyond picky--I probably:( will swap to a lower sheen paint or maybe topcoat with a lowsheen if I can, but do you have any ideas?

·
eric
104 Posts
to strain or not to strain

Err on the side of caution. A helper looking perplexed, lines full of paint, no available water or a place to clean up. Contractor looking anxious. I 'm sure you get the idea. If you want to cheat hot soapy water helps. I hold my sprayer as much as 6-7 days in product, or water. After that it's a one + hour clean up depending on the situation.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
My guess would be that the pressure on your machine was a hair to low, and the wind would cause the ridges. If they have a garage use that, or an almost empty room and crank the heat

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I'm sorry but I can't see spraying kitchen cabinets outdoors. Straining paint is a good start. But who knows what's floating in the air and landing on the surfaces.
Bingo. We get lots of wind out where I'm at with lots of dust in the air, even if you aren't getting pelted with a sand blasting from the wind, there is residual stuff that lands on things.

Spray inside or rig up some sort of spray booth with plastic somehow for a better shot at reducing the 'bumps'. It's either dust/dirt or orange peel, maybe a combination of both. Increase pump pressure, change tip possibly (orifice size) and try not to do delicate work outside if possible.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts