Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I would think about brushing it if it werent for the 14ft tall ceilings. Im just going to make sure that I air it out well and spray it in sections so the fumes dont get too concentrated. Shellac seems to be the best option for coverage

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would think about brushing it if it werent for the 14ft tall ceilings. Im just going to make sure that I air it out well and spray it in sections so the fumes dont get too concentrated. Shellac seems to be the best option for coverage
Keep in mind, shellac isn't designed for this. It's really for spot touch-ups. It will dry hard and brittle. Any movement in the panels will not be tolerated by the shellac.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
What about 123 as the main primer, and then BIN the knots as they appear?

Or, Zinsser smartprime...
(I'm not familiar with it, but Rustoleum tech support says it has better blocking against Tannin and other stains. They said "it is a waterbased primer that acts like an oil based primer", when I spoke with them yesterday on the phone.).

Agree with Masterwork, BIN is not designed as a large scale primer, says so right on the can.

*In a previous post you said you were concerned about the wood swelling, but I can see how that would create too many problems? I just cant see it swelling that much. Have you done a test sample?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I havent done a sample yet but the paneling was attached with 18g brad nails on 24" centers, metal truss design. That coupled with the fact that the barn is a hot roof, foamed building, gives me concerns. Ill pick up some smart prime and 123 and see how those cover the knots.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
How would you compare block out to aqua lock?
I don't stock aqualock anymore, I wouldn't say aqualock does a spectacular job for tanning blocking. 2 coats of 046 does better and even then i've seen some bleed through over plywood stamping for example both products you still want to follow with a rattle can of coverstain. the inslx stuff does well for stain blocking tannins but needs 2 coats to fully seal it, and I would suspect most waterborne primers to behave similar needing two coats where I would feel pretty comfortable using one good coat of 094 or primelock.

as @Redux says, long term even with oil or shellac you STILL might get some bleed through. So make sure to include a clause covering your self in the contract.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I still have to wonder why the GC wouldn’t spec the new lumber to be finished (or at least primed) before install.

that would have saved a lot of heartache, as well as sealing the back and sides. I would think it is more susceptible to humidity w/o the back sealed, even though interior.

tough job sometimes. At least it’s Pine and not Cedar!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Its not in a house but rather a barn. I tried to talk them into staining/poly but they want it white. Its the farmhouse trendy look. I guess I am just going to have to suck it up and bring in some fans with furnace filters and stick with BIN.
I was thinking about this comment just now.

they may actually want the knots and tannin to show. It has a more “rustic” character when this happens.

I have a customer that won’t let me spot prime the knot bleed in her old home, because she likes the way it looks.

it is a barn after all. Bright, clean white may be too modern. This could be ok!

edit: re-reading I saw that Redux also mentioned this.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I happen to be on a job that has a ceiling that is obviously done in water based- clearly not primed to block tannins. I’ll post it here. Doesn’t look bad, I hadn’t even thought about before now.

yes, I was on lunch break. Man, you guys are distracting!

A few more pictures of the Pine T&G.
It is not my work, but is a good example I think of White Waterbased on Pine. The knots popped (tannin bleed) but looks intentional, maybe. This is at a Beach cabin and fits the look of the rest of the house. it is only one coat, because there are holidays.

Have you asked the Homeowner if that is the look they are going for? Or confirmed that they actually want it to be clear?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Beautiful. Would expect nothing less from you.

can you imagine priming cedar with a wb primer, and then painting it white? That would be a streaky mess.
No, I couldn’t...sprayed, maybe..
I thought the following was pretty cool aside from the cracking in the v-grooves (I did it a few years prior to taking the pic)...t&g pecky cypress brush finished in the discontinued high gloss Impervo. The project/home was also featured in an Elle Decor article “On the Waterfront” as well as in Architectural Digest. There was also tens of thousands of linear feet of painted t&g WRC paneling which we did in oil..

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Its not in a house but rather a barn. I tried to talk them into staining/poly but they want it white. Its the farmhouse trendy look. I guess I am just going to have to suck it up and bring in some fans with furnace filters and stick with BIN.
Have you tried showing them a sample of pickled white pine? Looks pretty good IMO.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts