Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer who wanted me to paint a pedestal kitchen table in high gloss black paint. I used a HVLP sprayer and thinned the Benjamin Moore Super Spec Urethane Alkyd Gloss Enamel with Naphtha as indicated by the sprayer. The temperature here in NY was in high 30's to low 40's. It took a few days for the 1st coat to completely dry. I put another coat on it for extra protection and I am waiting for that to dry (painted yesterday late afternoon). My problem is that the paint has the orange peel effect to it. Can I sand it and apply the paint with a brush to get a smoother finish? I have been painting furniture for years but usually use latex or chalk paint. I have never worked with enamel before.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Naphtha could be your problem, It evaporates too fast or you might be thinning to much?. I would give it another coat and thin the paint with good ol paint thinner (mineral spirits). One of the great properties of enamels are that they level out easily. something is off in your procedure.

OR simply change the needle size, are you using the correct one?.

I would only consider brushing as last resort, don't you want the best possible finish?.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I absolutely want the best finish possible! I am using a 1.5 needle. I also have a 2.0 - would that be a better choice? I will also try using mineral spirits.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It really depends on type of hvlp gun you are using, compressor size, the cfm's your gun needs and tank provides as well as the psi's you have at the gun that will decide your tip size. How much are you thinning down the oil? 30%?
Get you a piece of wood and do a couple practice rounds...try a 1.3 tip...?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Sanding would be your best option. You might need to thin the paint more as hvlp units need thinner product. Naptha is the solvent of choice for dark colors as it breaks down the pigment better than regular thinner. Lot's of tint in black.

·
Administrator
19,666 Posts
With a little tinkering oil will usually spray great out of an HVLP. I too would just reduce with thinner. Use a viscosity cup if you can't judge by sight and also get a sheet of masonite and practice on the smooth side just before spraying.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
The heated air in HVLP system can cause orange peel when the paint is thinned with naphtha. That'll work fine with airless or AA, but not so well with HVLP. That's especially a problem with urethane enamels. We just finished an entry (door + sidelights) with that same paint thinned with mineral spirits and it worked great.

Reactions: Exactoman

·
Registered
184 Posts
I like to test my spray on a metal paint can. If thinned right it should spray out like a car finish. Black Can be tough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts