Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've seen it done with a capspray rig. Lots of masking if the trim finish is different from the wall finish. I just roll and brush.

·
speed comes with quality
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean with an airless.I like to do it because you can get it in a coat of primer one top coat.usually on new con. houses I like to leave every thing with a spray finish.what I mean is spray everthing to prime my system is caulk and putty,prime walls spray cieling 2 coats coming down a few inches on the wall sand trim and pole sand then spray all trim with a 211 coming over a as little as possible to the wall then cut in with a brush all trim and cielings with wall primer I like to whizz roll the cut in tight it only takes a little longer but looks great then brush and roll the top coat whiz rolling very tight again and final coat base boards.unless the specs are for two top coats then I'll do one coat of top before cielings.and ofcourse I take doors off do two top coats and rehang them.but personilly I like a spray finish on trim and it also helps to make them super slick.

·
17,849 Posts
I always spray new construction after it is installed. Putty, caulk, prime, sand, spray finish.
i use a contractor2 gun with a titan 211 tip for casings and base, and a 311 for doors.
Sometimes i do not feel like swithching the tip and run the 211 the whole way through.
We run the windows by hand though. Just faster for an experienced painter to do it by hand as it is to tape off windows. I do tape off the glass for metal doors though. Nothing looks more unprofessional then over spray on all the windows. It says somehting about the whole job.
I like to run ICI duras interior exterior gloss for my trim these days.
I used to run high gloss industrial enamel for trim a few years back.

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
We spray all painted trim up, we stain and seal all wood down. We dont tape much anymore we use liquid mask when practical. We use an airless with a fine finish tip its harder than hvlp but faster. If your good with a gun you can use an airless for high end trim not only spec homes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts