Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to find this answer in past threads but have been unable to do so. I am changing my pricing from guestimating how long it is going to take me x my hourly rate, to sq ft. pricing. I have all my numbers I need to know to cover my overhead and expenses. My only question for you guys is do any of you double your sq ft price for two coats or divide it for 1 coat. I am very new to this method of pricing and that is one of the things I was curious about. I read about it on another website and some people did and some people didn't and it got me to thinking. Just wanted to make sure i'm not over charging or undercharging and leaving money on the table. I also do both residential and commercial repaints.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
I have tried to find this answer in past threads but have been unable to do so. I am changing my pricing from guestimating how long it is going to take me x my hourly rate, to sq ft. pricing. I have all my numbers I need to know to cover my overhead and expenses. My only question for you guys is do any of you double your sq ft price for two coats or divide it for 1 coat. I am very new to this method of pricing and that is one of the things I was curious about. I read about it on another website and some people did and some people didn't and it got me to thinking. Just wanted to make sure i'm not over charging or undercharging and leaving money on the table. I also do both residential and commercial repaints.
You will get the same replies here as well. Some do some don't. Some of us have been doing it long enough we know the price as soon as we see the job.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

http://www.evergreentech.net/books.html

·
Registered
490 Posts
possumcods said:
Roll the dice and hope for yatzee...

If you know your numbers, and OH, you don't need to ask.
The only sq ft price you should give is for ceilings.
I usually multiply walls, times LF of trim, divided by prep time, plus 100 and multiply by pi.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
MKap said:
I usually multiply walls, times LF of trim, divided by prep time, plus 100 and multiply by pi.

That's a good formula but don't forget if its 10' ceilings you have to multiply by 10 at the end instead of pi.

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
WElcome aboard. I pretty much do strictly residential repaints and almost all my jobs are two coats regardless whether it's interior or exterior, walls or doors and trim. Two coats is my thing so I figure everything two coats, but if I were doing commercial repaints like you where it's often only one coat and I bid one coat a lot I would go 75% on the 2nd. Masking and prep is done so 2nd coat always goes faster.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
WElcome aboard. I pretty much do strictly residential repaints and almost all my jobs are two coats regardless whether it's interior or exterior, walls or doors and trim. Two coats is my thing so I figure everything two coats, but if I were doing commercial repaints like you where it's often only one coat and I bid one coat a lot I would go 75% on the 2nd. Masking and prep is done so 2nd coat always goes faster.
I'm more of a "two coats as needed" kinda guy....

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Sme with us. 2 coat quotes on interior/exterior.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What would be the advantage of sqft pricing unless you measured everything? Then what would really be the difference? If your hourly estimating hasn't been working for you, maybe you need to reevaluate your time allotted to paint. I'm not understanding this one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts