Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
What would be the advantage of sqft pricing unless you measured everything? Then what would really be the difference? If your hourly estimating hasn't been working for you, maybe you need to reevaluate your time allotted to paint. I'm not understanding this one.
The question is do you double your cost for the 2nd coat? Example 2000 sq ft
home. $8500.00 for 1 coat do you charge $17,000.00 for the 2nd ? Answer some people do some people don't.

·
MAC Design Corp
49 Posts
I have tried to find this answer in past threads but have been unable to do so. I am changing my pricing from guestimating how long it is going to take me x my hourly rate, to sq ft. pricing. I have all my numbers I need to know to cover my overhead and expenses. My only question for you guys is do any of you double your sq ft price for two coats or divide it for 1 coat. I am very new to this method of pricing and that is one of the things I was curious about. I read about it on another website and some people did and some people didn't and it got me to thinking. Just wanted to make sure i'm not over charging or undercharging and leaving money on the table. I also do both residential and commercial repaints.
i think its more about the client.there are jobs where you can double it and jobs when for the second coat you only add half. When you do the estimate take your time with the client, make him like you and sometimes even if you go higher, he will let you know ans ask for a lower price, because he feels comfortable with you.
hope this helped

·
MAC Design Corp
49 Posts
Usually 1 coat ceilings,2 coats walls,1 coat trim

thats the way to go. do u paint kitchen cabinets? i had few costumers that wanted to refinish their kitchen and asked me to paint them white. after the preparation(degloss, primed) i had to apply 3 coats of paint. i use ultraspec semigloss from benjamin moore

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
thats the way to go. do u paint kitchen cabinets? i had few costumers that wanted to refinish their kitchen and asked me to paint them white. after the preparation(degloss, primed) i had to apply 3 coats of paint. i use ultraspec semigloss from benjamin moore
I'm doing kitchen cabinets at the moment...after prep, one coat primer and two coats semi. I always have found that semi on cabinets and walls (such as kitchen and bathroom) takes at least two coats (depending on color of paint and what you are going over).

·
MAC Design Corp
49 Posts
Isn't ultraspec basically a wall paint? Curious how it holds up for trim...

whats the difference between wall paint and wood paint?Ultraspec its very high quality and it doesnt smell like paint at all.it has 0 VOC. As long as it's semigloss i dont see any problem for using it on trim. Only if the costumer requires oil based paint wich is very rare

·
MAC Design Corp
49 Posts
I'm doing kitchen cabinets at the moment...after prep, one coat primer and two coats semi. I always have found that semi on cabinets and walls (such as kitchen and bathroom) takes at least two coats (depending on color of paint and what you are going over).
i dont really do semigloss on walls. Eggshell its my "buddy". but yea...at least 2 coats after primer on the cabinets. as an advice...when you quote a job like this keep in mind that it might need 3 coats:)

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
whats the difference between wall paint and wood paint?Ultraspec its very high quality and it doesnt smell like paint at all.it has 0 VOC. As long as it's semigloss i dont see any problem for using it on trim. Only if the costumer requires oil based paint wich is very rare

One word, "Blocking".

I have a feeling this word is over your head though.

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
Do you ever notice how some paints are designed and developed to be used on trim related substrates which in my mind include: doors and jambs, base, windows, chair rail, stairs, among others and some paints aren't?

Ever wonder why?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
i dont really do semigloss on walls. Eggshell its my "buddy". but yea...at least 2 coats after primer on the cabinets. as an advice...when you quote a job like this keep in mind that it might need 3 coats:)
I have had quite a few customers who want semi-gloss on kitchen and bathroom walls. They want that "wipeability" factor. All I know is that semi-gloss shows all wall imperfections and I prefer not to have to use it, but won't refuse a customer.

·
Administrator
20,080 Posts
Do you ever notice how some paints are designed and developed to be used on trim related substrates which in my mind include: doors and jambs, base, windows, chair rail, stairs, among others and some paints aren't?

Ever wonder why?
Say whaaaaat? :eek:

When did this happen and where was I?

Reactions: slinger58

·
MAC Design Corp
49 Posts

Ever wonder why?
So what are you using for wood?Recommend me a good paint

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
I choose proclassic wb for most things because of the performance, availability and familiarity of the product.

There are many others that work great.

Although I actually prefer bm products overall, but sadly I live sandwhiched between the rockies and a national forest so sw is what I have besides hardware stores.

Speaking of which, Ace has a oil/wb enamel and it isn't that bad but it stays tacky far longer than I care for. I suspect this is the case for advance.

·
MAC Design Corp
49 Posts
I choose proclassic wb for most things because of the performance, availability and familiarity of the product.

There are many others that work great.

Although I actually prefer bm products overall, but sadly I live sandwhiched between the rockies and a national forest so sw is what I have besides hardware stores.

Speaking of which, Ace has a oil/wb enamel and it isn't that bad but it stays tacky far longer than I care for. I suspect this is the case for advance.
I only use BM paint. But which one from them? They recommend "Ultra Spec semigloss" for wood.

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sme with us. 2 coat quotes on interior/exterior.
I was Always taught to plan on doing two coats regardless, the only thing i usually only do one coat on are ceilings. If theres any bad spots or anything that would bleed through i spot prime usually with the little BINS shellac spray cans. The only time ive ever done more than two coats on a ceiling was either when its new drywall(1 PVA 2 finish) or The One time in my entire life i had to paint a PURPLE ceiling back to white........ yes their ceilings were F*#cking PURPLE!!! LOL

21 - 40 of 41 Posts