Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,775 Posts
I used nothing but canvas drops througout the majority of my career, of which the last 15 or so was strictly interior work, and I never had an issue of any sorts with them. The only real exception was in bathrooms where I would use old bedsheets since they were easier to form around and behind toilets and they could easily be washed when the job was done.
Me Too! :)

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I dont understand why people use canvas drops for interiors...
Well, one could use ram board but it's expensive. What do you use? I've always used heavy canvas on the floors and lighter canvas to cover chit. I've never had any problems with canvas drops. If there is a lot of work going on, I will use ram board, but not very often.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
What sizes are these drops? I just thought of something I've done for years! I wash mine in a triple loader machine with a couple of cups of ammonia & some laundry detergent. I think that might work for you, at least, for sheets that are not to oversized. Mind you, I can only do them one at a time.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Tons of drops is why I use plastic, no leaks, light weight. Can't be used again or recycled but works. I only use drops on floors at interiors as drops are too heavy to put over some furniture. Plus I don't want to own 4000 s.f. of drops
I loath plastic!! It tears, allows paint to track to easily and is difficult to keep laid in place. There are much lighter canvas sheets one can put over furniture and it won't slip or slide off. Even old bed sheets over furniture would be better than plastic for furniture cover..

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Whenever we used to get a van full of really dirty drops we'd drape them over the cyclone fence at our shop and pressure wash em. Downstream some Awesome Orange or some other degreaser to make em useable again. Washing machine wouldn't be feasible unless we went to a laundromat and put maybe 1 big and 1 small drop in each machine. 15'x17' Triple Butyl drops aren't practical to wash in a machine, especially when you have 20-30 that need washing. And as much as I like to think I wear the pants around my house, my wife wouldn't be wife for long if I tried to throw several dozen soiled drops in her front loader.
Well, I have a triple loader at home and can do one drop as a load. I do make sure to buy drops that can be washed in my machine.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Paint bleeds through old bed sheets. Yes plastic can be a pain to keep in place but again I don't want to deal with a truck full of drops.
As furniture cover I've found bed sheets work just fine BUT, I'm usually using them for dust protection. Other than light sprinkles, I wouldn't be dropping paint on them. To each his own, I never use plastic and I've been lugging canvas for so long I don't even think about it. I just load & go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts