Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Paint bleeds through old bed sheets. Yes plastic can be a pain to keep in place but again I don't want to deal with a truck full of drops.
Big white beach towels are the best to use in bathrooms and kitchens and other small spaces.
They are thick enough to absorb any paint that drips on them, and soft enough to be formed around toilets or into the corners, and so on.

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,758 Posts
Whenever we used to get a van full of really dirty drops we'd drape them over the cyclone fence at our shop and pressure wash em. Downstream some Awesome Orange or some other degreaser to make em useable again. Washing machine wouldn't be feasible unless we went to a laundromat and put maybe 1 big and 1 small drop in each machine. 15'x17' Triple Butyl drops aren't practical to wash in a machine, especially when you have 20-30 that need washing. And as much as I like to think I wear the pants around my house, my wife wouldn't be wife for long if I tried to throw several dozen soiled drops in her front loader.
Well, I have a triple loader at home and can do one drop as a load. I do make sure to buy drops that can be washed in my machine.

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,758 Posts
Paint bleeds through old bed sheets. Yes plastic can be a pain to keep in place but again I don't want to deal with a truck full of drops.
As furniture cover I've found bed sheets work just fine BUT, I'm usually using them for dust protection. Other than light sprinkles, I wouldn't be dropping paint on them. To each his own, I never use plastic and I've been lugging canvas for so long I don't even think about it. I just load & go.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Truth be told though, when I was doing more painting, I switched over to the cheap blue ones (for interiors only, obviously) , because they are super light, you can pack a lot more of them in a bin, and they are cheap enough to toss if they get too dirty or shredded, yet offer more protection than a canvas drop. The only issue I have is if you tape them together, the tape will take some of to drop with it when you pull it off. TRIMACO One Tuff 4 ft. x 15 ft. Professional Grade Drop Cloth 90099 - The Home Depot

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Have you never seen butyl backed drops?? I dont understand.. 9' x 12' Trimaco 80201 Rubber-Duckie Butyl Dropcloth, Leak Proof Heavy Weight | Masking Supplies, Drop Cloths, Butyl Drop Cloths | Paint Supply

Canvas drops for exterior, butyl drops for interior. Not only for protection, but for safety. Canvas drops will slide out on a hardwood floor too easily.
I used to carry these

·
Registered
Residential Painter
78 Posts
I don't know what these types of drops are called, but I have several in my collection. I think they were some of the first runners I purchased when I was starting out

They are bulky and take up a lot of space in my truck, but are awesome for stairs. I also use them for keeping tools and paint on when at a job.

I've also found a cut open pillow case works well for bathrooms or a quick toss over small nick nacks.

Sleeve Wood Grey Baby & toddler clothing Creative arts

·
Registered
98 Posts
On 3 occasions when talking to a very wealthy potential customers (after being recommended by their friends), one of my selling points was telling them
that I will be bringing brand new drop sheets into their home, so they don't have to worry about some "stuff" from previous homes being dragged into their house.
They liked that very much.
On a few thousand dollars job spending couple of hundred dollars on brand new drop sheets is a well worth it investment to get the job and to make the customer happy,
especially when noticing that they are very "my home is super clean oriented" with a cleaning lady running around dusting, vacuuming and wiping furniture all the time even tho everything looks so pristine already.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts