Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Metro Detroit. The deck is about 7 years old. I stained it last summer using Thompson’s Waterseal and it is already peeling (it was power-washed, then cleaned with Valspar deck cleaner before being stained). I decided to re-do it again this summer. I power-washed it and then cleaned it with a deck cleaner. I am considering an oil-based stain this time (Cabot). I am wondering if I should do anything before I stain it.
I am attaching some pictures (after it has been power-washed and cleaned with a deck cleaner)
IMG_0640.JPG

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,267 Posts
I'm going to give you some advice and then ask you to visit our sister site, DIYChatroom if you're not a professional painter and in need of further assistance. Thompson's Water Seal is a paraffin oil which seems to leave a sort of waxy residue behind if not completely removed, so you'll need to be sure everything has been removed before considering applying a new product. I'm assuming you'll be going with a solid stain, since there's clearly a fair amount of old reddish stain left after you washed it, and it isn't removed in any sort of even manner, which would telegraph through even a semi-solid. I have no experience with Valspar Deck Cleaner, but I would never consider using it. Not sure why they would add calcium carbonate to a deck cleaner, (unless it was maybe to raise the pH or aid as a phosphate binder). In any event, you'll need to feather the areas where existing stain is still present in large quantities if they are right next to raw wood if you plan on going with anything other than a solid.

After cleaning, give it plenty of time to dry, and follow manufacturer's recommendations for whatever you choose as the topcoat. Peeling of stain, (especially premature peeling), can most often be attributed to insufficient preparation and/or over-application.

As stated, if you are a DIY'er and not a professional painter, please post any further questions or comments at www.DIYChatroom.com. If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php. Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.