Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I would appreciate any advice on this. But we are looking to paint this area which includes exterior wood pillars, an awning, a fence wall and a gate. I want to retain the rustic wood texture so I felt stain would be better than paint.

My painter disagreed and wants me to use regular wood paint. His reasoning is that after it is sanded the stain will look uneven, splotchy and wont be as uniform as regular paint. The imperfections of the sanding will create an uneven texture and thus be ugly. I told him I was fine with this but he is pretty adamant and is trying to talk me out of it. In the last photos we ran a sample between two different stains from old masters wiping stain line. We also intend to use the old master ascend exterior matte finish as a protectant. I was ok with these samples but I am afraid when we stain everything that I will have some regrets, that the unevenness he spoke about will become more apparent.

Can any experienced painters on here shed some light on this. Would you use this method of staining on this? Advice is very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,170 Posts
I would suggest to your Painter a semi-solid or solid stain. However..
PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com. If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register.

This thread is now closed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.