Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have a client who wants to make Hardie Board look like real wood. I was thinking of priming, then a base coat, brushing a stain or glaze and then a clear over that. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, or experience doing this? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi there,
I have a client who wants to make Hardie Board look like real wood. I was thinking of priming, then a base coat, brushing a stain or glaze and then a clear over that. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, or experience doing this? Thanks for your help
Doesnt it have lettering on it? I would say use and oil primer on the board and then stain it plus a clear.

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
What about using a natural Cedartone stain, either solid body or semi solid?
I would go acrylic. Or you could do a basecoat of a lighter wood toned color in solid body acrylic stain, then go over it with a darker semi solid or semi trans. You can get pint testers of Arborcoat. I normally don't push it, but I like their solid body for shingles and siding. Not sure if the semi trans would be ok over the solid or not. Semi solid would.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Is it new? Or has it been painted before?

I've stained it once, years ago. It was new, unprimed Hardie. I don't remember the product, but I do know that after some testing/trial/error we discovered that the only way to make it look like stained wood is to wipe it off after applied. backBrushing/backrolling/spraying put it on too thick and just made it look like paint.

·
Registered
519 Posts
You ever read the manufacture spec sheet on Hardi? It says right on it do not use stains on it. It will void the warrantee on it. It has to be painted. Don't stain it or you might be involved in a law suit when his siding fails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts