Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've spent a lot of time searching and looking at the good threads here regarding deck stains and the good (but mostly bad) things about them. I'm about to take on staining a new PT deck that is seasoned and ready for cleaning and stain and wondered if anyone had any definitive suggestions. Most of the threads talk about how staining is a terrible job to take on and criticizes most all the available products. I've noticed a number of you mentioning that the initial stain is the most important one in terms of how it effects what you can - and cannot - do with it later.

I was leaning towards Sikkens Cetol SRD (I know it's not what it used to be) because of its availability and on the assumption that it's better than the other stuff I can quickly get my hands on. I was also considering the Edge Defy but my wife's not as big a fan of the available colors with that. At the end of the day we want a reasonable product that I can assume will last a couple years before needing attention. We are in Louisville, KY which is humid but doesn't get a ton of snowfall and the deck will see primarily morning sun and not much in the afternoon.

Any advice? Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Myself sikkens is the worst product to put on a walking surface, any other surface its a great product. I've seen way to many decks done with it the look like crap after a year or two.

I have a 16'x24' pt deck at my house I'm getting ready to stain. I'm going with a semi solid on the decking, railings and posts will be white and spindles black. I don't know what I'm using yet. I do know what I'm not going to use. Silkens and Arborcoat (inside info on walking surfaces).

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,467 Posts
As Tonyg suggested, you wouldn't go wrong with Armstrong Clark. TWP is another good one. I've used a lot of ReadySeal this year with great results also. Just stay away from film-forming stains and acrylic stains. Look for a good penetrating oil, and your customer will thank you when it comes time for a maintenance coat in a few years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts