Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find information to how to start a home painting business in the county of broward. I reside in deerfield beach for the past 12 years, but I can't see to find a straight answer on how to begin, the most important is if I need a license to operate. I don't only do painting, crown moulding, baseboard, cabinet refacing, wood flooring, laminate flooring, tile, venetian plaster, pressure cleaning, installing doors and a few more things.

·
17,849 Posts
I am not in your area so you will want to call the licensing department. In my area you need a state license and then a license for all the counties you work in. There are many Florida members on here so maybe they will chime in.

Either way congrats on wanting to be legitimate rather than willing to cut corners and lower the value of a legitimate PC.

·
Administrator
21,541 Posts
Welcome to PT!

Reactions: Rbriggs82

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome to paint talk.

Deerfield Beach is a beautiful area.

Caution ! Lawyer Up Heavy ! You are dealing with Broward County!

Of the 3 counties in South Florida, Dade, Broward, and West Palm Beach, you had to pick Broward County. May God Have Mercy On Your Soul!

Reactions: Repaint Florida

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Welcome to paint talk.

Deerfield Beach is a beautiful area.

Caution ! Lawyer Up Heavy ! You are dealing with Broward County!

Of the 3 counties in South Florida, Dade, Broward, and West Palm Beach, you had to pick Broward County. May God Have Mercy On Your Soul!
Just out curiosity. ..how much do these lisciences cost and what is the process ? I couldn't imagine being restrained to a certain county...for residential..we stretch out over 7 counties and two states..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Painting is considered a specialty contractor. You must take a painting test. If you pass it will cost $400.00 for said license for 2 years in Broward County.

You also need a occupational license for each city of said county. Each city has different price for their license. Do not cross city line without their city license.

Do not cross county lines without county license of that additional county and each one of their city license.

You also have to be Bonded.

To stay legal it will cost you Thousands of dollars, and this is only the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Painting is considered a specialty contractor. You must take a painting test. If you pass it will cost $400.00 for said license for 2 years in Broward County.

You also need a occupational license for each city of said county. Each city has different price for their license. Do not cross city line without their city license.

Do not cross county lines without county license of that additional county and each one of their city license.

You also have to be Bonded.

To stay legal it will cost you Thousands of dollars, and this is only the tip of the iceberg.
Sounds outrageous. .luckily if I end up in flordia this winter I will be subbing....but things are looking good right now

·
Registered
57 Posts
Define subbing.

Reactions: fauxlynn

·
Registered
57 Posts
Every county in Florida has different rules for painters. Before we get to far into this may I ask what county and city you are planing to sub in?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Every county in Florida has different rules for painters. Before we get to far into this may I ask what county and city you are planing to sub in?
Melbourne sounds familar..its my brother in laws uncle who is the owner and his brother is the northern territory manager..they have over 100 painters in flordia and all over the country. ...but things are looking good so I may not go but we will see come january first...the offer stands

·
Registered
57 Posts
Melbourne sounds familar..its my brother in laws uncle who is the owner and his brother is the northern territory manager..they have over 100 painters in flordia and all over the country. ...but things are looking good so I may not go but we will see come january first...the offer stands

That would be Bervard County, a nice quit area. I haven't had the pleasure or Dis pleasures of working in that county. So before I would take on a client there, I would be checking ALL the inter workings of said county for licenses requirements for city and county.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
That would be Bervard County, a nice quit area. I haven't had the pleasure or Dis pleasures of working in that county. So before I would take on a client there, I would be checking ALL the inter workings of said county for licenses requirements for city and county.
But since its sub work...I would be technically employed by there painting company...

·
Registered
57 Posts
But since its sub work...I would be technically employed by there painting company...

Florida is a money hungry state. What you would do in other states don't necessarily work here.

To bring a company from another state, you may need to file for alien statues for your company to legally sub work under your company name. At the least you will need a occupational license to sub work in that county.

When dealing with Florida a ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

Don't get me wrong, Florida is a beautiful place to live and have a business, and the weather is great. But please don't ever estimate the power of the law.

In Florida you are guilty until You prove yourself innocence.

·
RePaintFlorida.com
1,773 Posts

richmond you may want to check, Bervard is tight on license & yes it still wants you to take a test and follow all the rules

subbing from a paint company is the same as sub from a gc, your not an employee of that company your a COMPANY subbing work and must follow the rules

if you come to Florida and are close to Orlando give me a call, wings & beer on me :thumbsup:

·
17,849 Posts
richmond you may want to check, Bervard is tight on license & yes it still wants you to take a test and follow all the rules

subbing from a paint company is the same as sub from a gc, your not an employee of that company your a COMPANY subbing work and must follow the rules

if you come to Florida and are close to Orlando give me a call, wings & beer on me :thumbsup:
That is the definition of a legitimate sub. Of course a sub in some places is expected to have WC as well.

I am not a travelling painter, but I figure if you work out of your state RP as you have said, then for example say a state like Illinois then that you have worked in you probably have a good idea of what paper work may be required.

If I was to shoot it straight I would think you might not be fully aware under the standard that is required by the IRS on what a subcontractor is and what is required by the the feds.
To be "big time" there is regs that are required and if cutting corners is your thing then go for it but in the long run an audit by the feds, insurance comp, and WC may eventually follow.

I am not the big fish in this pond, but I try and follow the laws. You should as well since you have high aspirations. Just because you are working for your kin folk in FL does not give you amnesty in FL. You will still need to be licensed, for the state, for the counties, for the cities, and carry your own WC. You will also need to apply for out of state licensing or complete the required criteria for the state. You will need to pass the exam that is required for that state, or to work with an out of state license show that in your state you have met the same requirements. This seems to be proving you have at least a yr in college, showing business aptitude, along with a license, and having WC.

Again this is not my home area but a quick google search shows what is expected.
There are countless contractors that list their employees as subs when they are really employees but in reality this is an illegal practice. Don't be that guy. after reading your desire to be a brand and leaving a legacy to your daughter you will want to do it on the up and up. Just my take on a 1:am post.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Craigslist is free for everyone to use and advertise your trade and business on.

Not in Broward County, if you are not a legal business with license and display license numbers on all adds regardless of whether your a tradesman, baby sitter, lemonade stand, doesn't matter, if your not legal, then to advertiser in that county You will pay a $500.00 fine for doing so. Per violation.

Just a tidbit of information for ya.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
The Craigslist is free for everyone to use and advertise your trade and business on.

Not in Broward County, if you are not a legal business with license and display license numbers on all adds regardless of whether your a tradesman, baby sitter, lemonade stand, doesn't matter, if your not legal, then to advertiser in that county You will pay a $500.00 fine for doing so. Per violation.

Just a tidbit of information for ya.
That's crazy...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts