Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Been out of the business a few years, but now I’m back in it again. Have a lot of decks this year, and some exterior house painting/staining and have been working late afternoon and early evening hours to avoid staining in the direct sunlight. I honestly cannot remember what I used to do. Did I do vertical work in some sun, and flat work only in the shade? I don’t remember. What do you all do?

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Hi All,
Been out of the business a few years, but now I’m back in it again. Have a lot of decks this year, and some exterior house painting/staining and have been working late afternoon and early evening hours to avoid staining in the direct sunlight. I honestly cannot remember what I used to do. Did I do vertical work in some sun, and flat work only in the shade? I don’t remember. What do you all do?
Good rule of thumb: if you’re comfortable, the paint/stain will dry properly.

In Fall and Spring I will sometimes work on the sunny side. In the heat of summer, I chase the shade around the house. decks are challenging any time of year.

If the surface is in full Sun, and hot to the touch, it will probably dry too fast, leaving lap marks and potentially causing other issues.

·
Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,081 Posts
Welcome to the group.
I swore off doing decks early on so can’t help you much (or any actually). When doing my own decks, I worked in the shade and even then I only did a few boards at a times to avoid any lap marks.
I replaced one of my decks last year with a composite product. Like it so much I am doing the lower deck this summer.
Plant Property Building Tree Shade

Plant Furniture Table Building Shade

Plant Outdoor bench Wood Outdoor furniture Shade

Plant Wood Track Road surface Tree

1 - 3 of 3 Posts