Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Also Degen Poker Reg
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I took on this job for a customer and he showed me this coating from a previous painter. It's superdeck oil, looks semi transparent.

I've never used that coating before and I don't know why this is happening.

The customer is very lax, just wants it to look good. my initial thought was to just try and sand this down so the sticky goobers go away to some extent, then oil prime and paint.

Anybody who knows what's going on and what I best should do to cover this without getting into stripping and resto work, that would be appreciated.

Thanks painters!
-Scott Vineyard

Brown Wood Door Wood stain Hardwood
Wood Composite material Wood stain Rectangle Hardwood

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well, you know how it is in the Amazon and the job is 15 years old. It's just par for the course.

(Yes, that was a snide answer about how do you expect anyone to answer? Where is this (climate/weather related)? How long ago was that done? I'll assume that's a pressure treated (SYP) post? What's your knowledge or guess on the half wall material?)

Short story - I'd treat it like a typical exterior decking type of job. Clean the hell out of it including a pressure washing. Sand it, and stain it. I'd not paint.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Some woods can weep sap like that for decades. Let the customer know this is routine maintenance with real wood. It is normal, and not a big deal: scrape it off, scuff the area and re-stain (feather edges if spot staining).

The discoloration on the handrail is mildew. A mild solution of bleach water (and rinse ) will take care if that. Mildew feeds on the oils in oil based stains, so this is not uncommon.

I would suggest moving into a latex solid stain, instead of paint+prime. *You may need to spot prime the knots with bin if they bleed through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts