Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week we stripped some approx. 20 year old wallpaper that gave every indication (prior to stripping) of being paper. We used DIF out of a pump sprayer and it took 3 applications to begin to penetrate the surface. The solution ran right down it, and it acted like vinyl with some kind of paper backing.

Is DIF the recommended product? For future reference, if we know its vinyl, is there a better approach?

Attachments

· Registered
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We don't do much of this. We really only did it because it was a good, long-time customer for whom we were repainting most of the house.

When we stripped this stuff, the pieces that came off tore like paper. We are still not entirely certain what it was. I would have thought vinyl would stretch rather than tear. Do you guys ever see paper that has some sort of water resistant coating on it?

4,698 Posts
V, stripping is very tuff to deal with. One wall may strip very easy while another wall in the same room may take 2 weeks to strip. When I do a stripping job, I take every tool there is to have for stripping. I will try method after method until I find the proper method for that area and do the same throughout.

· Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Yep, you should definitely give the Safe & Simple a try. I use it exclusively.
And :no: to the hot water. Use room temp or cold water. Why? Hot will evaporate way too quick, and dry out before it does the work. The only time hot works better is in a very small room, like a powder room or small hall bath. Use hot, keep the door closed, and the steam effect will give you a slight edge. On any other area, hot will make your job tougher. Some think the hot will cut the paste faster, but :no:. The vinyl tore and didn't stretch because it was 20 years old; dried out and brittle.

· Registered
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, you should definitely give the Safe & Simple a try. I use it exclusively.
And :no: to the hot water. Use room temp or cold water. Why? Hot will evaporate way too quick, and dry out before it does the work. The only time hot works better is in a very small room, like a powder room or small hall bath. Use hot, keep the door closed, and the steam effect will give you a slight edge. On any other area, hot will make your job tougher. Some think the hot will cut the paste faster, but :no:. The vinyl tore and didn't stretch because it was 20 years old; dried out and brittle.

Thanks Pro...I was hoping to hear from you on this

4,698 Posts
It appears that using hot water while stripping paper vs not using hot water is like asking what price to charge for painting a house. My experience with removing wall paper is that you have to find out what method works for certain areas cause they are all different. I've tried steamers, hot water, cold water, warm water, diff, tiger claw, water and vinegar, straight vinegar and everything else under the sun. Process of elimination is the key to finding what works best.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.